I love my tortoise but I am seriously confused, help!!

Adam Southard

Location (City and/or State)
Ithaca, NY
Hello my name is Adam and I have a hermann tortoise named Morris. I got him from an awful pet store chain about a year and 1/2 ago. The people there might as well have been selling printers because they knew nothing about my tortoise , his age or sex. He seems to be full grown based on what I read and seems to be a male. I have found that like most things the internet is filled with conflicting information regarding tortoises. One article says use a desk lamp for light , another says that's insane, one says feed him lettuce, another says never feed him lettuce. His favorite thing to eat are dandelions, but he most consistently eats romaine lettuce and broccoli. A friend of a friend of mine has a tortoise and told me about this forum and said without it she wouldn't know what to do with her tortoise. But even here I find conflicting information, I really just want the best for Morris but sometimes I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. If anyone who raises hermann tortoises could help me that would be tremendous. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505956470.602621.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505956499.069797.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a russian. Take a look at our care sheet. you'll find it pinned at the top of the russian section.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Adam. Welcome to the forum.

You've found the best place for info now. What conflicting info have you seen here? Give us the opportunity to explain the discrepancy.

Adam Southard

Ithaca, NY
Wow thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome and information. He's Russian! I always thought he looked different than the hermann pictures I've seen. The conflicting information I saw here was just regarding lettuce, I believe it was on the hermann care sheet, it said never feed them lettuce. I apologize if my statement came off as accusatory that was not my intention. Just want the best for Morris. Does anyone here use wood chips for their Russian enclosure ? That's what I've been using but I wonder if theres a better option. Thanks everybody

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Some lettuces are better than others, perhaps that's where the confusion comes in. Iceberg has almost no nutritional value, but it's high water content means some feed it in very hot conditions or if the tortoise is dehydrated. Other types of lettuce, such as romaine, have a higher vitamin content but are still mostly water, so other broad leafed greens and weeds are better.
The most popular choice for Russian's as far as substrate is concerned would seem to be fine grade orchid bark, though others use coco coir or cypress mulch. Some types of wood chips are irritants or toxic so be careful .

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome Adam!

Morris’ beak is a little overgrown, nothing too bad.

Put his food on a piece of slate, that will help him wear it down.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome, Adam and Morris.
You came to a great place for help.
Please do not use any wood chips. Cedar and pine are toxic (poisonous) to reptiles and also may get swallowed and this will lead to problems.
Just read the care sheets for a Russian - and he should do fine with you.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Your title is interesting. I thought you have a relationship issue with regards to your tortoise

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Your title is interesting. I thought you have a relationship issue with regards to your tortoise
The confusion is because of "conflicting information" given by humanoids on the internet, I believe!