I love you Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
As many of you know after reading my last thread, Echo got very sick, and it was brought to my attention that my wonderful little man is another case of Hatchling Failure Syndrome. Today is hard enough as it is, and before a debate springs forth on HFS I'd just like to say, I fallowed Tom's threads and care sheets on raising a hatchling leopard as best as I could, and after reviewing my care techniques with a few members, we've all decided this really wasn't negligent part on my care, but rather when he first hatched. He had to have suffered dehydration which in turn ruined his kidneys and liver. When I got Echo, he had no growth lines, and 4 months later, he is still the same length as he was when I first got him, there are still no growth lines, which really matches up with HFS symptoms. When I noticed Echo was sick, His shell was more flexible than I remembered, he wouldn't open his eyes, he was eating still, but not much. When he opened his mouth to bite it would make an awful noise, although there were no bubbles, no runny nose, so it wasn't an RI. I took members advice to do what I could to make him better. I bought liquid calcium and put it in his water and soaks, i got baby food for babyfood soaks, i put calcium on his food every day so the little he does eat would be sure to get calcium in him. I gave him the whole week to see if improvements would be made. Last night after an examination (by me) I found his shell to be even more soft, his plastron was becoming a different color, VERY concaved, and soft. Even more of the carapace was becoming flexible, the past two days he's practically stayed in the same spot, his eyes won't open, and he doesn't eat. Ive read threads on here about the great debate on whether tortoises feel pain or not and the topic of euthanasia, and I don't wish to discuss any of that, but what I can tell you is that it is mind blowing and heart shattering to have a healthy tortoise for 4 months, and within a week, he's so sick that he barely moves. It is obvious that he is on his death bed. Unfortunately I have decided to get Echo put down today so he is no longer suffering. I'm leaning toward not getting another tortoise, I couldn't bear watching this happen all over again. I hope that I can stay a member here and do my best to help others and give advice whenever I can. At this time my dad wishes to try something new, and not invest in another tortoise for me since my first arrived sick, and echo is passing away. We might be getting another reptile sometime, but for now I want a break. I can say Echo is an amazing pet, the cutest and most cuddly tortoise ever, I am grateful for his presence in my life, and I love my little man to the moon and back, he will always be remembered.
IMG_3208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

abclements

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear this! :( I had the same thing happen with my first tort last July. I had a Hermann tort and he was very similar to echo. Didn't grow, and quickly went downhill :( I know it's really hard to just watch them suffer and you are doing what is best for poor little echo. You loved that tort. Give yourself some time off from owning a tort, but maybe a couple months down the road, you will want to get another. It doesn't have to be a leopard like echo. That way you don't feel like your trying to "replace" him. I wish you the very best no matter what you decide to do!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry this happened, Marissa! I've seen this in baby tortoises quite frequently and it is just heart breaking because there seems to be no way to stop the progression.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
So very sad for your loss. You are a GREAT tortoise mum.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
This is so sad :( you did everything you could, don't ever blame yourself. Just know he will be in a better place and won't be in pain anymore. I think you're making a good decision. I know its hard :(

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
So sorry, and no one will fault you for choosing to help ease Echo from his pain. Poor baby. You were such a wonderful mum to him and its so sad that this happened cause its so obvious how committed you are to proper care.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
So sorry for your loss. RIP Echo. :'(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Absolutely.Heart.Breaking. Rest in peace baby Echo.
Totally sucks. Hatchling Failure Syndrome has to be stopped. So painful to see happen, to know it happened, to feel the loss of the baby tortoises. Sad.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So sorry you did all you could . It would be a shame for you to leave the forum so keep on talking tortoise with us and maybe when your ready you can get a tort from a member. So sorry we will miss Echo to.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Vickie

5 Year Member
Marissa, my heart is breaking for you.....I know how much you loved that tortoise and did everything in your power to give it the very best home possible......it wasn't your fault at all.

Maybe down the road in a couple months you might change your mind on a new one. Something I might suggest though after such a heart break this was is perhaps get one from someone you know on here that is a few months old already and past the delicate stage?

Again, I really feel for you. Never met you in person however, all your posts have always been heartfelt and wish I was there just to give you a little hug to know we do NOT want to live without you on here. ~Hugs~

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Vickie said:
Marissa, my heart is breaking for you.....I know how much you loved that tortoise and did everything in your power to give it the very best home possible......it wasn't your fault at all.

Maybe down the road in a couple months you might change your mind on a new one. Something I might suggest though after such a heart break this was is perhaps get one from someone you know on here that is a few months old already and past the delicate stage?

Again, I really feel for you. Never met you in person however, all your posts have always been heartfelt and wish I was there just to give you a little hug to know we do NOT want to live without you on here. ~Hugs~

If I do take on another tortoise, I've spoken with Greg T who is hatching a few leopards now. He is getting help from Tom and with his pictures posted on threads I know he is raising them the right way, So i'll definitely buy from him. I've been talking to my dad about what to do or if we want an actual"family" pet. We have 2 dogs, one of them used to be mine but now is more of my Grandmas, who lives with us, and then we had Echo, who was mine, and my BP Electra, who was mine. I want to get a pet where we both can enjoy, But he doesn't think he wants to get another tortoise. I know I'm almost 19 so I don't want to be trapped by what he wants, but we got a puppy last year, and Anna (the puppy) Is completely attached to me, she hardly pays any attention to my dad. She greets him when he comes home but that is about it. This might be a crazy idea, but I am thinking about getting a Tegu, having him interact a lot with it, and it will be more of a family pet. Something that likes attention from multiple people. I have read a bunch that Argentine Tegus act just like dogs if you tame them enough. (yes I am aware of their large size). I don't know though. My dads kind of one of those people who don't get attached to animals, and he's a person who likes to play and pet and all the fun stuff, but when it comes to actual care he doesn't do much. We will see what happens i suppose. Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
I'm so sorry to hear about the sad news... I cannot stop tears running down my eyes...
The photos and the video you and Echo showed me have been my great inspiration. I am sure that he was very happy tort until his last moment, and those cute actions he showed you must have been his thanks to his caring mum.
You did everything you could do and I'm sure that he appreciated all your love and care you gave him.
I hope your pain go away eventually and you consider having a tort again when you are ready, because you are such a great tort mum!

Thank you and rest in peace Echo, I'll never forget about you.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
I'm so sorry Marissa. You can tell a lot by how someone cares for their animals, and you darling, are an amazing person. I hope you stay on the forum (or at least come back eventually, if you need a break). We truly enjoy your presence. This forum is better with you here. And Echo's life was better because you were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.