I made a gel, no fresh foods, so for the inevitable zombie apocalypse we are covered. LOL

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi, I have embedded a few links in here, it's the green text.

I got some organic agar agar and made a gel from the stuff I have and use & sell. It works really good. It also stores well so making a batch for a single tortoise can be done. I made a gel about 40 years ago following the recipe in the book Turtle and their care for aquatic turtles. Well, now I'm All Tortoise - All the Time. What I see as the problem with gel diets for tortoises is that they are all a fine powder, so the big bits of wholly indigestible fiber are not present. Fiber is a big deal for tortoise nutrition. You may have noticed as well that the Chicken layer crumbles I posted about several days ago have a poor fiber component. So what to do?

I found many recipes for using agar agar on line with varying amounts and ratios for use. They range from 0.9 - 1.3 grams per 100 ml water (about a half cup) to 2 grams per cup of water. I also found recommendations that suggest if you add acidic things to the water agar agar mix you want to go a little higher with the agar agar.

I used one cup of water and five grams of agar agar, as the base. I added 1/2 cup of chicken layer crumbles saturated with hibiscus water - 'tea', and a half cup of moistened Moringa. I used a silicon candy mold to make little squares and they solidified in the frig overnight. Total prep time was about 40 minutes.

More specifically,
1) I made Hibiscus tea from an overnight soak and had several cups, but used just about a half cup to moisten a half cup of layer crumbles. The crumbles soak up all the tea in about half an hour.
2) I portion out a half cup of Moringa and covered it in water.
3) I brought one cup of water to a gentle boil and added 5 grams of agar agar. The gentle boil was not stopped by the addition of the agar agar.
4) I added the hibiscus moistened layer crumbles and Moringa and stirred, and turned off the heat.
5) I spooned the mix into the silicon candy mold, which was sitting on a cutting board (they are flippy floppy). Then placed it in the refrigerator.

Next day, this morning I popped the cubes out of the mold and fed them all out but one for my storage test. See the Bolivian Redfoots chowing down on it. Thanks again Terry Kilgore @Redfoot NERD for the cool animals.

So here's the dealio, there is a dealio BTW.

Send me an email, not a phricking text, an email. [email protected] with your interest to try this out. $7.75 to cover postage is the $ cost (I'll send a PayPal invoice). The rest of the cost is you will be guaranteeing to post a video on Facebook or Youtube of your recipe, and your tortoises eating it, much like the video I posted within one week of getting the stuff. What stuff?

Five grams of Organic sourced agar agar, two ounces of organic sourced hibiscus, rose hips, or cactus chips - your choice of any two ounces of any other thing from the store - dried loose leaf or flowers, AND lastly 2 ounces of either ZooMed non-GMO food (grassland or Forest) or the organic Purina Mills chicken layer crumbles. You must use some of all of the ingredients but not necessarily all of all of them. By 'likes' here on www.tortoiseforum.net which should also be linked to a copy of your video - whoever gets the most 'likes' can have $50 value of whatever (foods or supplies) you want from Kapidolo Farms.

1)send me an email with your ingredient wants to [email protected]
2)I'll send you a PayPal invoice for $7.75 for postage. You don't need a PayPal account for this to work.
3)make the stuff and make a video of your recipe and your tortoises eating it.
4)Post the video on Facebook/Youtube and link that post here IN THIS thread.

I'll count 'likes' midnight-ish on April 30th, and post who the winner is. Then you'll have to tell me what you want out of the store. First ten emails of interest will get the 'stuff' for postage - $7.75. If more people after that want to play along then It will be the cost of a regular variety pack (which for this purpose will have five items, plus two ounces of the ZooMed/Purina food of your choice, and five grams of the agar agar. I'll top that out at another 10. That agar agar is expensive. Potentially zero to 20 videos.

GO

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Just because I want to mention where I got the dried goods in the video, how do you pronounce Kapidolo? I looked it up, and when used as a name for the flat backed spider tortoise (pyxis planicauda), I found one source that said the “O”s where pronounced like “oo”, so that it would sound like “kapidooloo”. Is that right? Lol

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've never heard a native Malagasy person say the word. I frankly don't know the proper pronunciation, so I can't say that you may say it wrong. Early on some folks liked to blur the word with a 'marital aid' to make fun of it.

I'll see if I can get google to say it, and then post the link.

Just because I want to mention where I got the dried goods in the video, how do you pronounce Kapidolo? I looked it up, and when used as a name for the flat backed spider tortoise (pyxis planicauda), I found one source that said the “O”s where pronounced like “oo”, so that it would sound like “kapidooloo”. Is that right? Lol

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I've never heard a native Malagasy person say the word. I frankly don't know the proper pronunciation, so I can't say that you may say it wrong. Early on some folks liked to blur the word with a 'marital aid' to make fun of it.

I'll see if I can get google to say it, and then post the link.
Lol!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey only two people have gone for it.

So I'll make it more rewarding, but not easier.

For the two folks that already bought the kit (postage only) you win, both of you. And for every like you get up to 50, I'll convert those likes into $1.00 each for store credit on top of the $50 you already got.

For everyone else, you all win, but the like converts to $1.00 each capped at $50.

I really hope I'll be sorry for this, and that the TFO group as whole is not so ... lame? Seriously, all you have to do is follow the simple steps. $7.75 postage, and however many like you get is your payoff in $, up to $50.

You're all on your own to spread this word. Cap is still the same, 10 people (8 places left) for $7.75 and an email of what you want in the 'kit', and ten more at regular Variety Pack price of $29.99 (which is a full variety pack including the agar agar).

Let's see some videos. @TechnoCheese is obviously a brain scientist or rocket surgeon, looking at the cool alien orbs made. You can just pour the mix into any pan or tray and cut it into any shape you want, you don't need a 'form'.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hey only two people have gone for it.

So I'll make it more rewarding, but not easier.

For the two folks that already bought the kit (postage only) you win, both of you. And for every like you get up to 50, I'll convert those likes into $1.00 each for store credit on top of the $50 you already got.

For everyone else, you all win, but the like converts to $1.00 each capped at $50.

I really hope I'll be sorry for this, and that the TFO group as whole is not so ... lame? Seriously, all you have to do is follow the simple steps. $7.75 postage, and however many like you get is your payoff in $, up to $50.

You're all on your own to spread this word. Cap is still the same, 10 people (8 places left) for $7.75 and an email of what you want in the 'kit', and ten more at regular Variety Pack price of $29.99 (which is a full variety pack including the agar agar).

Let's see some videos. @TechnoCheese is obviously a brain scientist or rocket surgeon, looking at the cool alien orbs made. You can just pour the mix into any pan or tray and cut it into any shape you want, you don't need a 'form'.
For the likes, is it likes on the video itself, or likes on the forum post that are counted? And if we post the video in some different places, do those likes count? Like Instagram or Amino, for example.

Oh, and does my video thumbnail look clickbaity enough? ;)
DFA8796B-61C9-4933-A605-9666B6580F50.png

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
For the likes, is it likes on the video itself, or likes on the forum post that are counted? And if we post the video in some different places, do those likes count? Like Instagram or Amino, for example.

View attachment 291239
You need to include a picture of yourself doing some ridiculous pose and then it's YouTuber worthy.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club

View attachment 291239
Well I wrote likes here on TFO, 'cause I did not want to have to go to many venues and do complicated math. I suppose if a bit before midnight on the 30th you post a screen shot here on TFO, then I only have to do a little math, the likes from your screen shot, and the likes here on TFO. Does that work for you? It looks clickable to me! I clicked on it and only got more of the same still image. Can you please post a link here to wherever that is?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Well I wrote likes here on TFO, 'cause I did not want to have to go to many venues and do complicated math. I suppose if a bit before midnight on the 30th you post a screen shot here on TFO, then I only have to do a little math, the likes from your screen shot, and the likes here on TFO. Does that work for you? It looks clickable to me! I clicked on it and only got more of the same still image. Can you please post a link here to wherever that is?
Oh the videos not done yet, that’s just the thumbnail I’m going to use, lol. I’m being a little superfluous with my video, so it’s gonna take me just a little bit lol

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
My video is uploading as I type this. And yes, I really did eat some of the Will's delicious organically sourced products. However, I left the final gelatin stew for the tortoises to taste test, and they loved it. It will drop tomorrow at 8 a.m. and I'll post it here then. Thanks Will! :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My video is uploading as I type this. And yes, I really did eat some of the Will's delicious organically sourced products. However, I left the final gelatin stew for the tortoises to taste test, and they loved it. It will drop tomorrow at 8 a.m. and I'll post it here then. Thanks Will! :)
I ate some of the gel. I’m sure it tastes better for the tortoises... lol