I might be rehoming Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Well, my husband put in for orders for Everett WA. He will be moving there early next year. I won't be moving until AT LEAST June 2011. I want the kids to finish the school year and then the move will depend on his deployment schedule.

I think I may have to rehome Ralph. I know it's possible to raise a sully in the Northwest, but I don't even know where we will be living. I may talk to my brother and SIL in Georgia and see if they'd keep him for us for 3 yrs. They have SEVERAL torts, snakes, and PLENTY of room. Just not sure how to go about it since I've been told (but not sure how reliable the source is) that since I never had a permit for him I can't take across state lines????? Would be different if I were taking him to WA since we'd be driving and not checked. But I'd have to ship him to GA.

Anyway, I need to research ALL my options. I'm not the type of person who thinks pets are dispensable. I would LOVE to take him with me but NOT if we have an apartment. And NOT if I don't have the living space for him. It's not fair to him. Even on cloudy days here he seems so sad and "not with it".

So if anyone has any suggestions, shoot them at me. At minimum, I've got 16 months to figure everything out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't need a permit to travel with your sulcata across state lines. However, if you're going to ship him, you have to get a note from the vet saying he is free of ticks. At least, that's how it used to be a couple years ago. Don't know if the vet certificate is still required or not.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Well, I'm just 20 mins from Everett. As an 'option to research', you could look into folks like me in the area who would be willing and able to tort sit for you until you have a place with a yard and stuff...

M

Maggie Cummings

Please don't think about rehoming Ralph until that is your only option. You have an offer from Chad and I am only about 200 miles away and Bob could teach Ralph how to climb stairs...:p

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
I just want it to be known I DON'T WANT to rehome him, but being realistic that it "MIGHT" have to happen.

But you never know, I may be giving you or Chad a call when it's time for me to leave.

I just want to be prepared.

M

Maggie Cummings

DAC8671 said:
I just want it to be known I DON'T WANT to rehome him, but being realistic that it "MIGHT" have to happen.

But you never know, I may be giving you or Chad a call when it's time for me to leave.

I just want to be prepared.

It's hard to prepare yourself for something like that... I know. But you have offers from me and Chad to tort sit and help you out, so that should make you feel somewhat better...:(

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH IT DOES MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!!!!! I know I have an option now that I didn't have before. It will kill me to give him up, but I'd give him up because I love him so much. Now I may not have to do that!

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
DAC8671 said:
AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH IT DOES MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!!!!! I know I have an option now that I didn't have before. It will kill me to give him up, but I'd give him up because I love him so much. Now I may not have to do that!

Sorry you may have said before but where do you live now?? Maybe finding a temporary home where you live now. I could, I mean they could send him home when home is ready :D. I could have used a sulcata last week. My tort yard was 2 feet tall and I couldn't find the girls in the weeds when it was time to come inside. Thet are only about 1" high.

There are options we can all help with before you have to rehome Ralph.

Dawna

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I thnk its smart to start looking at your options NOW and not be in denile and wait till the last minute. Too many people do that and the animals suffer for it.
If you have to place him, you have time to find a good home, if its temp, then that is good too. Sounds like you already have some options. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.