I need advice and guidance on my hatchling Golden greek

mlongmire

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I just purchased a golden greek hatchling. I did my research before I bought him and found a lot of contradictory information or so it seems to me anyway. So I would like advice from anyone who actually have experience with his breed. I am new to tortoises but do own other reptiles. My setup is like this, 20 gallon long tank (only temporary) Temp. 95+ on basking end UVB bulb and heat emitter, 80ish inside the tank he has a hide on the cooler end the temp drops at night to the low 80's high 70's I use a heat gun and thermometers to measure, Substrate sphagnum/peat moss for moisture with a layer of reptibark.. Food:mixed greens, softened Mazuri tortoise pellets sprinkled with calcium.
He is eating but here are my questions and concerns: I mist his tank everyday should I soak him everyday or what? Should I supplement with calcium every day? Am I missing some other supplements I need? He is still a little shy and timid and he sleeps a lot is this normal for a baby? I am using saucers for food and water buried to be level with the substrate but I think he is having trouble getting in and out I have looked online and in pet stores with no luck any one know where and what to buy? Most of you out there have a lot more experience than I do I value your opinions. Any other advice would also be welcome. Sorry to be so long winded

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I just purchased a golden greek hatchling. I did my research before I bought him and found a lot of contradictory information or so it seems to me anyway. So I would like advice from anyone who actually have experience with his breed. I am new to tortoises but do own other reptiles. My setup is like this, 20 gallon long tank (only temporary) Temp. 95+ on basking end UVB bulb and heat emitter, 80ish inside the tank he has a hide on the cooler end the temp drops at night to the low 80's high 70's I use a heat gun and thermometers to measure, Substrate sphagnum/peat moss for moisture with a layer of reptibark.. Food:mixed greens, softened Mazuri tortoise pellets sprinkled with calcium.
He is eating but here are my questions and concerns: I mist his tank everyday should I soak him everyday or what? Should I supplement with calcium every day? Am I missing some other supplements I need? He is still a little shy and timid and he sleeps a lot is this normal for a baby? I am using saucers for food and water buried to be level with the substrate but I think he is having trouble getting in and out I have looked online and in pet stores with no luck any one know where and what to buy? Most of you out there have a lot more experience than I do I value your opinions. Any other advice would also be welcome. Sorry to be so long winded
I don't have all the answers but the following I do know.
1. Soak your hatchling in warm water for 20 to 30min everyday.
2. You can use terracotta saucers for their food and water bowls. They are supposed to be quite cheap and they help your little one to keep their beak trimmed. You can get them at your local Walmart or garden centre
3. You do not need to put calcium and vitamin powder on their food everyday. Once to twice a week should do the trick.
I am sure some of the experts will be here soon to give you further advice.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
A very warm welcome to the forum! I hear you about all the conflicting information out there...
Have you already had a chance to look at the Greek tortoise Care Sheet and Beginner Mistakes? Both were written by known experts and you can trust their advice.
Greek Tortoise (Testudo graeca) Care Sheet/Overview -
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...e-(Testudo-graeca)-Care-Sheet-Overview.87146/

Beginner Mistakes -
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Regarding some of your questions, the general consensus here on TFO is daily soaking is important, and yes, babies tend to sleep a lot. More members should be able to give you more answers in the coming hours.

Once again, welcome to TFO. :)