I NEED HELP ASAP :O (mixing species)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield, Ma
Ok so I have a hatchling Dalmatian Hermann's Tortoise and I put my new hatchling Cherry Head. I know I'm not supposed to put them in the tank together for a month or 2 BUT I was just putting the Cherry Head in there just to see how they would react to each other. I just had them together for less then 30 mins. So I was cooking dinner and I was done and went ot go check on them (Mind you the tank is in the kitchen so it wasn't like I was in the room watching them) So when I went to take a look at them I seen my Hermann was on the back of the cherry tortoise making an open mouth face. Now I separated them ASAP BUT my question is does this mean my Hermann tortoise a male and the Cherry Head a female?
I did separate them ASAP once I seen that and put her (Cherry Head) in her tank. My husband wanted me to put them both into the same tank BUT when I looked at some research it said not to put them together for a month or 2 but he wanted to see how they would do together. So anyways does this mean my hermann's tortoise is a male and my cherry head is a female?
Hope someone can help me out. Thanks so much

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: I NEED HELP ASAP :O

No, not if they are still young. Some females will mount too. The two should not be housed together though. Besides cross breeding is not recommended, keep species pure if possible, but also, they can pass diseases to each other that the other is not immune to. Two species, two enclosures.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma

Yeah I knew they couldn't be in the same tank I just wanted to basically let them meet each other. I would NEVER cross breed them at all. I just wanted them to see each other and meet each other. I didn't know they could pass any diseases that's GREAT to know. I am still learning about the tortoises that is why I came here to ask about this.
So females can go on top acting like males when they are young?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I don't know how common it is, but I have heard it on here before. How old and big are they? Depending on their age and size, it could be that one is male and the other female. It could also have been bullying.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Kristen:

It isn't "don't put them together for 6 months" It is "don't EVER put a Hermann's together with a redfooted tortoise. A tortoise keeper without much experience should never mix species.

Besides the different environments that these two species of tortoise require, they may make each other sick or even dead. Tortoise species that come from different continents...tortoises that would NEVER contact each other in the wild, should NEVER be put together in the same habitat.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma

Yeah I have been reading up more on the Cherry Head and I'm putting together a tank for her now. I just had to put the bedding in there and what now. I just put them together to basically meet each other then feed them at the same time. So that is basically the only reason they were in the same tank for less then 30 mins. I just wanted to feed them and let them meet one another. I will NEVER do this again that is for sure.
But atleast I know now NOT to do this again for a TON of simple facts.
I'm actually getting another Hermann Tortoise very soon but now am alittle scared that this might happen with the new hermann's tortoise.
But thanks for everyones help :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The best way (in my opinion) of introducing a new tortoise to an existing tortoise (same species and after a quarantine period) is to have a completely new and different habitat set up for them.

The existing tortoise has a territory established. Adding a new tortoise to that territory causes stress on both animals. Tortoises are solitary creatures. They don't want or need companionship. If you want them to get along, then you have to put them together in a new environment, an environment that neither animal has already claimed as his own. And even then, it may not work.

I have seldom been able to get two tortoises to get along in an indoor habitat. But outside is a different story. In a large outdoor habitat, with many sight barriers, two tortoises can each claim their territory and live in harmony.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Ahhhh ok.. Makes since now that you put it like that which is 100% true. I think I'll just leave them separated all the time. Makes it so much easier :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

wellington said:
I don't know how common it is, but I have heard it on here before. How old and big are they? Depending on their age and size, it could be that one is male and the other female. It could also have been bullying.

Most likely.

Kristen6207 said:
Yeah I have been reading up more on the Cherry Head and I'm putting together a tank for her now. I just had to put the bedding in there and what now. I just put them together to basically meet each other then feed them at the same time. So that is basically the only reason they were in the same tank for less then 30 mins. I just wanted to feed them and let them meet one another. I will NEVER do this again that is for sure.
But atleast I know now NOT to do this again for a TON of simple facts.
I'm actually getting another Hermann Tortoise very soon but now am alittle scared that this might happen with the new hermann's tortoise.
But thanks for everyones help :)

It might, too...if you're going to have two tortoises in the same enclosure, they must both be females...a M/F pair will usually end up as one VERY stressed (or dead) female eventually, and two males will end in a battle for dominance, with the loser either VERY unhappy or dead.

I'd suggest waiting until you know the gender of your Hermann's before getting him/her a companion, if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.