I need help ASAP!! there is poop stuck in my tortoise's butt hole!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
When I looked at my turtle to feed him i saw dried up poop stuck to his butt under his tail! i tried to pull it out and it wouldn't budge so I soaked him in water hoping it might loosen up and it didn't!! What should i do!!

Nvm phew while he was walking I used a tissue to hold it down so it came right off :) Do you guys have any suggestion to not let that happen again?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Make sure he has a water dish he can soak in anytime he wants. It is just a guess, but he may have been dehydrated.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
It was most likely just a cling on! Just watch him to make sure it does not happen again. You can put a dab on mineral on "the area" and see if that helps. Tho other things may stick, like coconut coir. I wouldn't worry, unless it keeps happening over and over.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi everyone, i am glad hes okay. i am also glad your question was answered. i have tears in my eyes i am laughing so hard. omg! thanks all. lindy

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Sorry made me laugh by your title. I think we have all had that happen to one or more of our tortoises at some point. You did good by trying to soak and see if you could loosen it up. They usually just fall off in a short period of time.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes the title is um, very descriptive. That is usually the place I expect poop, but then again, you never know... ;)

Please know we are just teasing and not really making fun of you. :) Glad everything was okay.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I just about wet myself when I saw the title of your post:p I hope your little one is okay

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
aww... one of mine was trailing poo behind him ... he had a palm string stuck in his innards... i had to cut it with scissors... little crazys! i dunno how they find the palm strings. i cant find them if im looking for them and somehow these guys eat it! it will hang out of their mouth like dental floss.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Palm strings, those things that fall off of palm trees? yours will eat that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
Klingons around Uranus?

OMG! Leave it to you! :p

I have noticed with hatchlings that occasionally a poop will stick on around the tail. The next time the tortoise poops, it gets added to the previously stuck poop. If you allow it to build up, it might cause a big problem, and it most certainly makes the tail and cloaca raw and sore.

The best thing for this problem is to soak your baby every day in a big enough tub that he can move around. The walking and warm water makes him poop in the water, and then it won't stick to them.

Once it has stuck, all you have to do is soak them in warm water then gently pick it off.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
dmmj said:
Palm strings, those things that fall off of palm trees? yours will eat that?

yeah! not the frawns but the stringy part between the trunk and the branches... i guess they are in the grass when they eat... the only time i see them is when they are hanging out either end... so i pull gently as much as i can then snip it off with the scissors... I swear my little guys are trting to drive me crazy! poor frasnklin was dragging around a dingle berry that was about as long as he is! icky!

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Are you sure that it's feces, had a client not too long ago that brought in a Sulcata that they said had dried poop stuck to his backside and it ended up being his penis that had prolapsed and dried out and became necrotic.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
exoticsdr said:
Are you sure that it's feces, had a client not too long ago that brought in a Sulcata that they said had dried poop stuck to his backside and it ended up being his penis that had prolapsed and dried out and became necrotic.

Ummm... is this question for me or for AngryCowGoesMoo?

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
FranklinAndTara said:
exoticsdr said:

Ummm... is this question for me or for AngryCowGoesMoo?

Question for the original poster as I don't believe I saw any resolution to the problem in the followup post, though I may have missed it. I have had my torts poop out many fibrous strings from plant material in the past also.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
okee dokee... it was in her first post. she said Nvm(nevermind) she got it off of the tort.
so what did you do with the dead tort weenie? did u have to remove it?

Status
Not open for further replies.