I need HELP!!!! Calling all RF experts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I am not ashamed to beg for help for my Redfoot. I have nursed him thru a URI, he showed improvement, and now he is acting a bit "off". I noticed smack dab in the middle of his under shell he has a soft spot-I am assuming he is rather young as he is about 3 inches long. Being a Ornate Boxie owner, I feel she is a walk in the park in regards to care vs the RF. Here is what I have:

Currently he is in an underbed sweater box (the top is hinged and completely down over the cool side) **let me also interject I live in Texas, its hot as all get out here, and the air is closed off in the babies room-so it stays a nice balmy 85 degrees in the room night and day**
Temps show 90 on the warm side (using a 100 watt MVB)
on "cool" side I show 80 degrees and about 70% humidity
On the cool side he has a half log hide stuffed with moist spaghum moss-(he spends most of his time in there)
Since recovering from the URI he was eating great, then a few days ago when I went to pick him up he made some really weird cat meow noises-I am soaking him in the morning then giving him his breakfast (he did eat a bit this morning) I rotate spring mix, squash, Mazuri, fruit-and about once every two weeks he gets some of the cats holistic dry food moistened for protein. What am I doing wrong here? I am needing advice, direction-anything to ensure my baby is happy and healthy!
Thank you as always :D ~Roxanne

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Any natural UVB? How often does he get outside?

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
if its where the middle line is of the plastron that is supposed to be a tad flexible due to where the egg sac or yolk (whatever its called lol) was. It shouldn't be easily pressed in, but rather takes some pressure to get it to bend in a little. Unhealthy soft is when the shell might turn a little discolored, when gently touched it seems to press in a little, and over time it gets even softer. Keep an eye on it because it could be a sign of a problem. BUT since you say middle of the plastron I am guessing its just because of the egg yolk scar. Has he grown at all since you got him? Gained any weight? how long have you had him?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Have you tried bumping his temps and humidity up where his humid hide is?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Everything sounds good but how bright is it red foots don't like it really bright. I would get a che on a thermostat to keep the temperatures right and get a 12inch tube 5.0 uvb fixture and you will see a nice improvement in your little guy.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
URI’S take a long time to recupe from. Antibiotics will last 7-10 days and weeks of keeping things tip top. As others have mentioned bump your temps up during this time and allow for multi soaks in your daily routine to keep your animal well hydrated. Now you need to figure out why he got sick in the first place … too damp with tool cool of area? In contact with other animals or in the “ grounds“ of shared animals? RI‘s are not very common during the summer months …but not unheard of. Keep up with your care and everything should be fine . :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
A biy of REAL sun would help this little guy and calcium powder on his food

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
EchoTheLeoTort said:
if its where the middle line is of the plastron that is supposed to be a tad flexible due to where the egg sac or yolk (whatever its called lol) was. It shouldn't be easily pressed in, but rather takes some pressure to get it to bend in a little. Unhealthy soft is when the shell might turn a little discolored, when gently touched it seems to press in a little, and over time it gets even softer. Keep an eye on it because it could be a sign of a problem. BUT since you say middle of the plastron I am guessing its just because of the egg yolk scar. Has he grown at all since you got him? Gained any weight? how long have you had him?

Okay-yes, it is dead center in the middle-no discoloration. I got him in April from a reptile expo-within two days he was at the vet getting Baytril injections for a URI. I have not weighed him on my own but I know the vet did and was shocked at how much weight he gained between appointments.

theelectraco said:
Any natural UVB? How often does he get outside?

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

He goes outside for most of the day on Saturday and Sunday, when I am home to supervise as his enclosure isnt permanent yet-I try to leave him out as much as possible on those days as he seems to really enjoy it.

mike taylor said:
Everything sounds good but how bright is it red foots don't like it really bright. I would get a che on a thermostat to keep the temperatures right and get a 12inch tube 5.0 uvb fixture and you will see a nice improvement in your little guy.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Well its a Powersun so its pretty darn bright-and I have been reading up on the whole brightness/RF information-so he does have a CHE already, but I will be getting the 5.0 uvb this weekend. thank you! :) all advice helps so much.

N2TORTS said:
URI’S take a long time to recupe from. Antibiotics will last 7-10 days and weeks of keeping things tip top. As others have mentioned bump your temps up during this time and allow for multi soaks in your daily routine to keep your animal well hydrated. Now you need to figure out why he got sick in the first place … too damp with tool cool of area? In contact with other animals or in the “ grounds“ of shared animals? RI‘s are not very common during the summer months …but not unheard of. Keep up with your care and everything should be fine . :)

He was sick when I purchased him at a reptile expo in April-within two days of getting him he was at the vet's office. He has been back to eating this morning (Mazuri and apples). I am just concerned about the noise he makes when I pick him up as well as his eyes being a little blurry-but based on the other posts, I am assuming that situation is due to the bright MVB.

mainey34 said:
Have you tried bumping his temps and humidity up where his humid hide is?

thats where the confusion comes in-should I keep a CHE on him at all times over the hide, then the uvb on the other end? like I said, I do live in Texas and the room he stays in has the air closed off so it is VERY hot and humid in there.

bigred said:
A biy of REAL sun would help this little guy and calcium powder on his food

He goes out on Saturday and Sunday for most of the day so we can keep an eye on him, and I do dust his food with the Calcium powder-in fact, I started adding some to his water bowl as well, based on some posts I was reading.

tortoise007 said:
Please read these threads and post pics of your tort enclosure.
I would highly suggest using the toothpick method to measure temps.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-70438.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66977.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66801.html

Thank you so much-I will have to take pics of his enclosure this evening when I get home...i appreciate the links!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The springiness- is it like a tight, rebounds immediately thing- like stiff plastic, or is it a slightly squishy thing, like soft rubber?

Tight and bouncy is not a problem, squishy is. If it is squishy, increase the calcium and vitamin D or UVB but don't go overboard on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.