I NEED HELP! (closed eyes, lethargic)

hannah.doughty

Location (City and/or State)
cheshire
so basically, I have recently taken in a tortoise. my mum's friend had one and told us that she was passed it by her daughter and didn't want it. my mum has always wanted a Hermann but never got one. as this poor little guy needed a home, we thought to take him in as we have done this in the past with other animals like our pet hedgehog who is blind. we got told he is a boy and is 2-3 years and they think he is a Hermann but they have never seen him with his eyes open and he doesn't eat.
we have taken him home and researched Hermanns to fully give him what he needs. we realized his colouring where off and he didn't look 100% like a Hermann so decided to ask a few people. turns out he is a Horsfield tortoise. I have also now been looking into it and he is extremely small and google is telling me he inst even a year old.
he is around the size of my palm at most. his eyes won't open so we have bathed them and he still won't eat. he isn't scared of us and doesn't shy away, he mainly just sleeps. wanted to know if there is anything anyone can think of. we are taking him to the vet tomorrow to see what's wrong but I am just hoping for tips or any advice for us to help this poor guy.
thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be very careful with the vet advice. They are not very knowledgeable on tortoises.
Sounds like this one didn't care any proper care.
Give daily warm water soaks with baby food carrot in the water and somd piediyte.
Do not use any type of coil bulbs, they can cause eye damage.
Set him up in a 4x8 enclosure that until he is better can be divided off into a 2x4. Basking temp with a reptile basking bulb should reach 95-100. Tube florescent for uvb and a ceramic heat emitter for added heat if needed on a thermostat. Humidity 50-80%.
The rest of the enclosure should range from 75-80 and night temps can drop into the 60's.
Use orchid bark for substrate.
Broad leafy greens for its diet.
Post pics of him and the enclosure so we can help you get thing right.
He is likely undersized due to what was probably poor care.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Be very careful with the ver advice. They are not very knowledgeable on tortoises.
Sounds like this one didn't care any proper care.
Give daily warm water soaks with baby food carrot in the water and somd piediyte.
Do not use any type of coil bulbs, they can cause eye damage.
Set him up in a 4x8 enclosure that until he is better can be divided off into a 2x4. Basking temp with a reptile basking bulb should reach 95-100. Tube florescent for uvb and a ceramic heat emitter for added heat if needed on a thermostat. Humidity 50-80%.
The rest of the enclosure should range from 75-80 and night temps can drop into the 60's.
Use orchid bark for substrate.
Broad leafy greens for its diet.
Post pics of him and the enclosure so we can help you get thing right.
He is likely undersized due to what was probably poor care.
Welcome.
As WELLINGTON has mentioned, give us photos of your set up including the lights, heating, etc. And the actual tortoise.
We can then make better theories as to what is going on.