I need help figuring out what kind of tortoise this is

Status
Not open for further replies.

keen266

5 Year Member
So we found this little guy outside a friend's house earlier today, and we're trying to figure out what kind of tortoise he is so we can take care of him properly. We have a desert tortoise already, and we're pretty sure he's not that.
He's about 5 in long and 3 in wide, has a smooth brown shell with what looks like vertical lines coming down from the top of the shell (though it's very light, not vivid). his scales are yellow, he has long claws, and his eyes are red.
I've got a not-too-great photo because he refuses to come out of his shell. He's extremely shy and retreats into his shell at the slightest movement.
If you could help identify him and perhaps give some tips on how to care for him, I would really appreciate it.
On an unrelated note, I've named him Turlough.

securedownload

securedownload

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Where are you located (approximately)?

The red eyes and yellow scales sound a little like a box turtle of some sort.

Does he completely "box up" as in, does his plastron have a hinge that allows him to completely go inside his shell and seal it up?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, keen266!!

Your pictures don't open for me, so I can't see the found turtle.

Your first order of business will be to try to find the turtle's owner. Think about how you would feel if someone left your gate open and your desert tortoise got out, then a neighbor decided to keep him and name him rather than try to find out who he belongs to. Put up signs on the utility poles around the neighborhood where the turtle was picked up. "Found" ads are usually free in the local newspaper. You can also put up a craigslist ad. But don't give out too much info. There are lots of people out there who will claim the turtle is theirs, when it really isn't.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can't either.... it just tells me to sign into yahoo. :(

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I can't see it also, but I completely agree with emysemys. I have lost my box turtle, the sweetest little thing and I am so sorry it is missing. I have been looking for almost two weeks with no success. It is likely that the turtle belongs to someone and its owners are crazy with worry. If you post pics again, maybe we can identify it and you will no how to care for it until you find the owners. :)

keen266

5 Year Member
We've been looking for the owner, but we haven't got any replies so we're figuring out how to care for him just in case. Sorry about the pictures, they weren't any good anyways, so it's not much of a loss.

I live in a suburban part of Arizona, so there usually aren't any tortoises out here, and if there are they're usually Desert Tortoises. A friend of mine thinks he's a Golden Greek tortoise, but his markings aren't as distinct as the ones in the pictures I've looked up.

keen266

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
Where are you located (approximately)?

The red eyes and yellow scales sound a little like a box turtle of some sort.

Does he completely "box up" as in, does his plastron have a hinge that allows him to completely go inside his shell and seal it up?

it DOES seem like there's a hinge, but I haven't seen him completely "box up" or anything. he can get pretty far into his shell though.

Status
Not open for further replies.