I need help!! Filtration Question

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
So i have a 350 gallon stock tank in my turtle room, yes in my house!!! It will be moderately stocked with turtles, but here is my dilemma.......What filter do I buy? I was thinking the Tetra 1500 bead filter, but it has a 3600gph pump.....it does keep the water clean and it has a great backwash system....i was thinking I could lessen the output pressure by making it run into a filter box/waterfall filter. My other thought was a fx5 or fx6.....but with that much water and turtles it looks like i'd need two....which would set me over budget. Does anyone have any ideas? Again this is inside my house, so leaks are the last thing I want to deal with :)

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated, the mrs's needs to know what i want for christmas.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
If you are on a budget, ditch the commercial crap and make a DIY filtration system. So much easier, cheaper, and more efficient...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
DIY really sounds the way to go.

I do have the FX5 and LOVE IT for many reasons!!! I didn't have to pay for it so the price tag wasn't an issue. It is a great filter and would recommend it to anyone.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I'd love to DIY but i don't won't to risk a DIY project leaking on the carpet?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
DIY systems are not prone to any leaks if you do it right. There are a myriad of ways to accomplish this. The failure rate of a commercial system is higher because there is only one way to put one together.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
I use an eim filter which is a stand alone filter plus an iwaki pump which is rated for 750 g/ph which is attached to an ocean clear canister filter which is rated for a 300 gallon tank neither of which have a backwash feature. I would suggest you should use an ocean clear canister filter which is rated around 2x the amount of gallons if you want very clear water. I attached the iwaki pump and canister filter with a PVC tower leading into into the stock tank and passing through a bag of bioballs. It works great!

Here is link to where I bought my ocean clear canister filter.

http://www.marineandreef.com/Ocean_Clear_Canister_Ocean_Clear_Filter_317_318_319_325_s/230.htm

I also forgot to say Iwaki pumps can be pretty expensive. I may have an extra used on I could sell pretty cheap and it's in decent shape but pm me if you want one. Also check ebay too someone may being selling one.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
Sorry to keep adding on to my post but the additional filter I use is not an Eheim it's a Rena filter. I use the 175 gallon one just incase anything goes wrong with my main system. I suggest if you are going to use the setup I suggested you should use the 265 gallon Rena. You can find it for pretty cheap here: http://www.petmountain.com/product/...rena-api-rena-filstar-xp-canister-filter.html

Lastly I wanted to say you may have to pay around $500 for the complete setup but I have been using this setup for years with a saltwater aquarium and just set it up with a quarantine stock tank for my koi and turtles and it's been great. (The turtles live in it throughout the year)