i need help on how to keep my tortoise warm in the winter

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
So I have a young sulcata tortoise and I live in AR so it gets cold in the winter so I would like some advise before he is giant, btw I'm really new to all this tortoise stuff so if you have any advise I would love some.
;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is the care info:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, pics of your tort and the enclosure would help us with suggestions.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have him in a big blue plastic pool and View attachment 339642I feed him Flukers tortoise diet land turtle
Definitely read the caresheets Tom sent you. Your tort needs to eat more than just Flukers. NO FRUIT! Does he have a tunnel closed off on one end or some other type of hide? You will need to build a tent over the pool to help hold heat and humidity. Your pool will work temporarily. But read the caresheets for a better enclosure. Heat no lower than 80° humidity no lower than 80%. You can see the top shell (carapace) is getting bumpy. That is called pyramiding and is because of not enough humidity. Look online for tortoises pyramiding and you will see some advanced stages. This is not good for your tort. You will need a CHE (ceramic heating element). for night time. They need total darkness at night. A terracotta flower dish sunk level with the substrate for a water dish. Again read the caresheets and come back with questions.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Definitely read the caresheets Tom sent you. Your tort needs to eat more than just Flukers. NO FRUIT! Does he have a tunnel closed off on one end or some other type of hide? You will need to build a tent over the pool to help hold heat and humidity. Your pool will work temporarily. But read the caresheets for a better enclosure. Heat no lower than 80° humidity no lower than 80%. You can see the top shell (carapace) is getting bumpy. That is called pyramiding and is because of not enough humidity. Look online for tortoises pyramiding and you will see some advanced stages. This is not good for your tort. You will need a CHE (ceramic heating element). for night time. They need total darkness at night. A terracotta flower dish sunk level with the substrate for a water dish. Again read the caresheets and come back with questions.
Thank you so much, I really needed that advice!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Another important thing to do is soak your tort in warm water everyday for 1/2 hr. The depth of the water should be where the top shell (carapace) and the bottom shell (plastron) meet. You will find a infrared temp sensor will come in handy. Taking temps in different areas of your enclosure and also the temp of the soaking water. Just don't point at any eyes human or animal.
Screenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas

So I read it but could I use a tank? Or does the top need to be completely sealed? And if I can use a tank how many gallons would in need for my one year old tort?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
So I read it but could I use a tank? Or does the top need to be completely sealed? And if I can use a tank how many gallons would in need for my one year old tort?
Really, you need a closed off top. otherwise, you will not be able to keep the humidity up high enough, nor for the heat to stay in.
As @Tom likes to say, it's like heating your home without a roof.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you use a CHE (great for night heat because they don't give light), it should be run through thermostat to make sure it doesn't get too hot and over heat your tort.
If you follow the caresheet your tort should do well.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you! So could I put tin foil on the tank lid??
You would need a very large aquarium. They grow so fast you would keep buying a bigger tank. For temporary it would work and yes you could put tin foil on top.
Look at enclosures here on the forum. Do you or someone you know have building skills?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think large vivs are recommended for babies because it's easier to control the heat and humidity.
Some people who have open tables get a mini portable greenhouse to use over tortoise tables. You can hang the lamps inside.
e.g. -
1643468372815.png
I love this idea of Elohi's for using a Lifetime Raised garden bed kit for small young torts torts but it's only 4x4 and your sullie would soon outgrown it.
This one has 2 stacked for depth. You could extend it to 4 x 8 by using them side by side but it would be shallower, and even if you used 2 kits you would have to find a way of joining them because they only come with corner joints.
1643467906052.png
(Humidifiers aren't advised)
Sullies will eventually need heated night boxes in an inside room to live in if you have cold, wet winters. best to start planning now!!