Status
Not open for further replies.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
El Sobrante, CA.
So, @Aden and Herbie
If I may chime in . . As mentioned by others above, the folks who have already given advice all have a lot of experience caring for tort's and also @Armadillogroomer with the piggies.
Look at it this way, if I might . . think about how much they get co-habitating, think about their interaction, then think about what the outcome would be if these folks ARE right.
Really co-habitating, you think they are bonding & having a good time, But really not much, BUT the damage to the tort if the Piggie started to chew, is a gamble I would NOT want to wager on. Especially since it could involve the death of my tort.
PLEASE consider the advice from these experienced folks, they are not telling you this to bum you out, they JUST want the best for Your Tort . . and the lil piggie.
Ultimately it is your decision, but do you want to gamble with your lil tort's life, I would hope not.
My2Cents . .

Pamelaann

5 Year Member
I agree I have a male Hermann tortoise who lives by himself and when I call him or he sees me he comes running over That’s just what they do. The are solitary creatures and do well by themselves. They need room to roam. This is his enclosure I live in Florida and he lives outside all year

Attachments

• A7A366CB-1F9D-435B-B397-369FBCDC581C.jpeg
    A7A366CB-1F9D-435B-B397-369FBCDC581C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

Olivertort1

North Charleston SC
I have a Redfoot who roams his large container alone and comes to me when I call him because he loves food and butt scratches and associates that with me. One thing not mentioned is that tortoises regularly eat their own feces and will also eat that of other animals, like Guinea pigs, which could introduce bacteria into his gut that is detrimental to him. I also have a dog and she and Oliver the tortoise are never together, not even supervised. It only takes a second for him to lose his foot or even his head. I came to this forum because they are experts. You should heed their advice.

Toombsk16

Brooklyn, CT
They only play together when they come out and most of the time they come out separately cause either the g pig is sleeping or the tortoise is sleeping but there is evidence that tortoises can create special bonds with not just their owner but with other pets like this couple in America had a sulcata and they for a while and then adopted a puppy they were inseparable
Agreed, there are too many people on here who have “Opinions” Tortoises absolutely form bonds with people and other animals in unique ways. Our Sulcata watches “Elmo” while taking his daily soak, then finishes up with going potty to let us know he is done. He does not potty in his house or on us when we are holding him or he is hanging out with us on the bed. He absolutely knows my wife and I and will come towards us as soon as he see’s us. He doesn’t do this with others. He knows our voices as well. When out of town on business, I’ve talked to him on speakerphone and he moves towards it. Other people on the speakerphone he completely ignores.

He recognizes 1 of our 3 dogs. (who are never left unsupervised for a moment with him) 2 English Bulldogs and a French Mastiff. 1 of the English Bulldogs adores him and he moves towards her and they spend a couple minutes near eachother and are clearly stimulated. The other 2 doge nor Obi’ (our Sulcata) pay no attention to each other. *Before anyone replies we are aware that Tortoises carry Salmonella, but we take the precautions and clean appropriately.

As I mentioned there are too many people who like to get in this page and chastise others based on their own opinions. Sulcata’s can live to be roughly 80-150 years old, and are native to Africa. There is simply not enough scientific evidence due to the lack of observation through legitimate science to validate or discredit most of the claims made by the naysayers on here. Too many people like to make postings and wait for reactions and anytime they get a thumbs up, their “Ego” as a knowledgeable resource is further fed.

It will take several generations of captive bred species who’s offspring then go on to become adults and repeat the cycle all while being observed by unbiased scientists trained in not just reptile, but tortoise biology to learn about the personality traits and tendencies of these amazing creatures. It’s much easier to learn about the biology of them through study of them both while alive and through dissection of diseased subjects.

It is known they need a warm humid climate (80-90%) for baby Sulcata’s, 12+ hours of artificial UVB light plus as much natural sunlight as they choose to take in while outside in a safe and secure enclosure, a fiber rich diet with calcium supplements to promote (along with UVB) healthy shell & bone development and some fruit. (10-20%) is the best estimate at this point.

I would say let the Guinea Pig and Tortoise have some time together. Tortoises are clearly intelligent creatures with a natural sense of curiosity (which we have observed and experienced first hand) I’m sure you have good common sense. Trust your best judgement while weighing on the side of caution & enjoy your creatures exploring and finding adventure being near each other as long as they are happy doing it.

Your experience in this helps towards a better understanding of the Tortoises in general. Post your findings and don’t be shy to let others know your personal observations. If more people would be open to this mindset, it would accelerate the understanding and knowledge of the personalities of these animals.

Our Tortoise Obi’ has brought us so much joy. He is so peaceful and honestly exudes relaxation. We adore him and know without a doubt he is growing up in an enrichment filled environment with his iPad to watch and listen to various types of content, (Yes he absolutely watches , listens to and is stimulated by this. Naturally some things more than others) the different play toys and structures in his house that we rotate in and out to keep the variety stimulating and we try different things such as lights, water features, etc.

Enjoy your tortoise, try and gather the positive things off of this site and don’t let those people I spoke discourage you because so much is still very much unknown about these Dinosaurs. 🐢

Attachments

• F955AFB3-4A83-4263-BC0A-50897691F7F7.jpeg
    F955AFB3-4A83-4263-BC0A-50897691F7F7.jpeg
    720.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 48CB4F64-5D42-422A-BB7D-B97171F9E4C8.jpeg
    48CB4F64-5D42-422A-BB7D-B97171F9E4C8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • D2F3876D-D3E0-47E2-ADE5-B1B0B78AB0E8.jpeg
    D2F3876D-D3E0-47E2-ADE5-B1B0B78AB0E8.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 4
  • C7542312-3311-4CF7-8E09-CB511DC38B0E.jpeg
    C7542312-3311-4CF7-8E09-CB511DC38B0E.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 4
  • F06CB787-E2D1-45BC-9273-4C89FD77F3D0.jpeg
    F06CB787-E2D1-45BC-9273-4C89FD77F3D0.jpeg
    764.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Agreed, there are too many people on here who have “Opinions” Tortoises absolutely form bonds with people and other animals in unique ways. Our Sulcata watches “Elmo” while taking his daily soak, then finishes up with going potty to let us know he is done. He does not potty in his house or on us when we are holding him or he is hanging out with us on the bed. He absolutely knows my wife and I and will come towards us as soon as he see’s us. He doesn’t do this with others. He knows our voices as well. When out of town on business, I’ve talked to him on speakerphone and he moves towards it. Other people on the speakerphone he completely ignores.

He recognizes 1 of our 3 dogs. (who are never left unsupervised for a moment with him) 2 English Bulldogs and a French Mastiff. 1 of the English Bulldogs adores him and he moves towards her and they spend a couple minutes near eachother and are clearly stimulated. The other 2 doge nor Obi’ (our Sulcata) pay no attention to each other. *Before anyone replies we are aware that Tortoises carry Salmonella, but we take the precautions and clean appropriately.

As I mentioned there are too many people who like to get in this page and chastise others based on their own opinions. Sulcata’s can live to be roughly 80-150 years old, and are native to Africa. There is simply not enough scientific evidence due to the lack of observation through legitimate science to validate or discredit most of the claims made by the naysayers on here. Too many people like to make postings and wait for reactions and anytime they get a thumbs up, their “Ego” as a knowledgeable resource is further fed.

It will take several generations of captive bred species who’s offspring then go on to become adults and repeat the cycle all while being observed by unbiased scientists trained in not just reptile, but tortoise biology to learn about the personality traits and tendencies of these amazing creatures. It’s much easier to learn about the biology of them through study of them both while alive and through dissection of diseased subjects.

It is known they need a warm humid climate (80-90%) for baby Sulcata’s, 12+ hours of artificial UVB light plus as much natural sunlight as they choose to take in while outside in a safe and secure enclosure, a fiber rich diet with calcium supplements to promote (along with UVB) healthy shell & bone development and some fruit. (10-20%) is the best estimate at this point.

I would say let the Guinea Pig and Tortoise have some time together. Tortoises are clearly intelligent creatures with a natural sense of curiosity (which we have observed and experienced first hand) I’m sure you have good common sense. Trust your best judgement while weighing on the side of caution & enjoy your creatures exploring and finding adventure being near each other as long as they are happy doing it.

Your experience in this helps towards a better understanding of the Tortoises in general. Post your findings and don’t be shy to let others know your personal observations. If more people would be open to this mindset, it would accelerate the understanding and knowledge of the personalities of these animals.

Our Tortoise Obi’ has brought us so much joy. He is so peaceful and honestly exudes relaxation. We adore him and know without a doubt he is growing up in an enrichment filled environment with his iPad to watch and listen to various types of content, (Yes he absolutely watches , listens to and is stimulated by this. Naturally some things more than others) the different play toys and structures in his house that we rotate in and out to keep the variety stimulating and we try different things such as lights, water features, etc.

Enjoy your tortoise, try and gather the positive things off of this site and don’t let those people I spoke discourage you because so much is still very much unknown about these Dinosaurs. 🐢
These naysayers, as you call them, are not just talking to hear themselves talk. They are sharing information from their personal experience. In my personal experience I kept a tortoise in the same yard as chickens (years ago). The tortoise ate the grass the chickens had pooped on. He eventually got sick and died, but I didn't realize my mistake until years later after much research and more knowledge.

The OP is going to do what he wants to do, but after the tortoise has gotten sick and died, please remember these conversations.

Toombsk16

Brooklyn, CT
These naysayers, as you call them, are not just talking to hear themselves talk. They are sharing information from their personal experience. In my personal experience I kept a tortoise in the same yard as chickens (years ago). The tortoise ate the grass the chickens had pooped on. He eventually got sick and died, but I didn't realize my mistake until years later after much research and more knowledge.

The OP is going to do what he wants to do, but after the tortoise has gotten sick and died, please remember these conversations.
Well, there you go. You used no “Common Sense” and let him Waller around in feces infected grass. Would you let a child wander around in that grass? I sure hope not. What I mean by Naysayers are people such as yourself that are quick to criticize and tell people they are doing things wrong. Many people post on here what they claim to be factual information, and do so in a less than constructive manner. Sharing personal experiences is fine, but in your case I see many posts that go beyond that and come across in a chastising manner. A tortoise spending a little time with a Guinea Pig in a clean environment isn’t going to kill it. You have 90,000+ posts, that is a lot of personal experiences. I come across many posts where you are simply rude to people and are speaking as though you have a formal education on Tortoises. As I mentioned, we are in the infancy of having experience with these animals. No 2 that have been captive breed, grown up, had hatchlings of their own that have lived a complete life has happened yet, so it will take a long time before real facts are known besides the biology that scientists have learned. The personality, social capacity, abilities and all of those types of sociological experiences are simply not known yet.

Just be kind, compassionate & helpful through positivity.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Well, there you go. You used no “Common Sense” and let him Waller around in feces infected grass. Would you let a child wander around in that grass? I sure hope not. What I mean by Naysayers are people such as yourself that are quick to criticize and tell people they are doing things wrong. Many people post on here what they claim to be factual information, and do so in a less than constructive manner. Sharing personal experiences is fine, but in your case I see many posts that go beyond that and come across in a chastising manner. A tortoise spending a little time with a Guinea Pig in a clean environment isn’t going to kill it. You have 90,000+ posts, that is a lot of personal experiences. I come across many posts where you are simply rude to people and are speaking as though you have a formal education on Tortoises. As I mentioned, we are in the infancy of having experience with these animals. No 2 that have been captive breed, grown up, had hatchlings of their own that have lived a complete life has happened yet, so it will take a long time before real facts are known besides the biology that scientists have learned. The personality, social capacity, abilities and all of those types of sociological experiences are simply not known yet.

We are trying to be polite & helpful. It's you who is being rude & disrespectful because those who have responded were addressing the problem at hand & you disagree with their answers & so criticize the manner in which they use words to respond or their attitude.

I appreciate the experience of the moderators & their help. Show them some respect because they've earned it.

Toombsk16

Brooklyn, CT
We are trying to be polite & helpful. It's you who is being rude & disrespectful because those who have responded were addressing the problem at hand & you disagree with their answers & so criticize the manner in which they use words to respond or their attitude.

I appreciate the experience of the moderators & their help. Show them some respect because they've earned it.
Think whatever you like, but the keeping of Tortoises is a very young pastime. I can appreciate people trying to help, but people should not claim to be any more than novices here. You say they have earned the respect. How so? Knowledge comes from long periods of experience in multiple situations. These are opinions that are written like gospel by people insinuating knowledge they simply don’t have. They should not be so critical when they are don’t have much experience in the grand scheme of things since these animals live to be so old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You talk about "science" and then type up several paragraphs devoted to emotion and opinion. You too will learn these lessons the hard way. When that day comes, do be sure to come back to this thread and let everyone know what happened and how you wish you had listened to the people who tried to warn you beforehand.

The above quoted paragraph is rife with falsehoods. It is true that babies need high humidity and warmth, but that is only "known" here on this forum. Most every other source says the opposite, but you got that part right.

They do NOT need 12+ hours of artificial UV. That is completely false. What do you base that on? There is not 12+ of UVB outdoors, and even if there was, babies hide all day, and adults don't walk around baking in the sun for 12 hours. For tortoises that get outside a couple few times a week, no indoor UV is needed at all. For indoor only tortoises, 2-3 hours is more than enough to meet their UV needs. With proper diet and supplementation that can be raised 100% indoors with no UV at all. This is not how I prefer to do it, but it CAN be done that way.

10-20% fruit? That is completely false and wrong. That will make them sick and upset the intestinal flora and fauna. Sulcatas should not be fed fruit at all. Odd that you've got the other diet info correct in regards to high fiber and some calcium supplementation, but then come out fo left field with the fruit thing.

When people who don't know what they are talking about post things like this on a public forum, it can do harm to tortoises. Then you want to label veteran tortoise keepers as "naysayers" and such. Why? Because we've seen the castrophes that happen when inexperienced people mean well, but don't understand all that can go wrong? Because we don't want people and their tortoises to suffer as we have?

...and are speaking as though you have a formal education on Tortoises. As I mentioned, we are in the infancy of having experience with these animals.

Several decades of keeping 100s of tortoises is as "formal education" as it gets. YOU are in your infancy of having experience with these animals.Yvonne is not and neither am I. In time the school of hard knocks will teach you too. This is like talking to my teenage child. She has no frame of reference for what it is to live on this earth for many decades and all the experiences that entails, but she readily and wholeheartedly argues with people who do. You don't know what you are talking about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Think whatever you like, but the keeping of Tortoises is a very young pastime. I can appreciate people trying to help, but people should not claim to be any more than novices here. You say they have earned the respect. How so? Knowledge comes from long periods of experience in multiple situations. These are opinions that are written like gospel by people insinuating knowledge they simply don’t have. They should not be so critical when they are don’t have much experience in the grand scheme of things since these animals live to be so old.
You think 50 years of tortoise keeping of multiple species in multiple situations doesn't give a person some insight into their behavior, and what works or doesn't work?

How many years of tortoise keeping experience do you have to reach the assertions that you are making? You are off base and out of line here. I say again. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Well, there's no talking to you, so this is the last I'm going to say on this subject - I operated a turtle/tortoise rescue for over fifty years. During that time I rehabbed many, many sick, injured and ill treated turtles and tortoises. I learned a lot from that experience. I saw what happens to tortoises when they are kept with other species. Besides the rescue I bred, raised and sold many, many tortoises, mostly leopards. I used the experience posted by Tom, who experimented with different ways of raising babies and was kind enough to share the results of his experiments with us here on the forum.

We're not blowin' smoke here. We're offering the benefit of years worth of experience through trial and error, and we've found what works. Do we know it all? No. We're still learning. Thank goodness we've found this forum and are able to reach out to new keepers and help change the old, outdated ways we all operated.

Toombsk16

Brooklyn, CT
Wow good luck to you and your ignorance.
I feel very sorry for the animals in your care!
This is exactly what I am referring to. If someone is questioned about their advise when they make comments like this and your supposed 50 years of experience which is maybe 1/2 the lifespan of an animal that has been around for over 250 Million years and takes offense when someone stands up to people when a lady was asking if it was ok to let her Tortoise and Guinea Pig spend a little supervised time together after people claim Tortoises don’t need friends which is to say they don’t need verbal, visual, physical and environmental stimulation is where the ignorance comes in. Where do any of the people gather their factual information before making statements such as this. I hope the answer is not Google. You can find every opinion you can imagine pro or con with any subject there. The simple fact is that it is unknown.

There is simply so much to learn about these animals in which humans have just scratched the surface. The problem with people who troll these forums looking to tell someone something they can’t possibly know the true scientific answer they is ignorant (to use your word) and arrogant for you to think you have great insight here. Give people a break. Encourage, don’t Criticize. Preface advice with “It’s been my experience” rather than “You should not do that”, or “I would hate to be an animal in your care”. I’m done replying to people who will argue with a rock in a game of who moves first loses and swears the rock moves before them. That intellectual mentality shouldn’t advise anyone on anything accept the rock and the rules to the game.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is exactly what I am referring to. If someone is questioned about their advise when they make comments like this and your supposed 50 years of experience which is maybe 1/2 the lifespan of an animal that has been around for over 250 Million years and takes offense when someone stands up to people when a lady was asking if it was ok to let her Tortoise and Guinea Pig spend a little supervised time together after people claim Tortoises don’t need friends which is to say they don’t need verbal, visual, physical and environmental stimulation is where the ignorance comes in. Where do any of the people gather their factual information before making statements such as this. I hope the answer is not Google. You can find every opinion you can imagine pro or con with any subject there. The simple fact is that it is unknown.

There is simply so much to learn about these animals in which humans have just scratched the surface. The problem with people who troll these forums looking to tell someone something they can’t possibly know the true scientific answer they is ignorant (to use your word) and arrogant for you to think you have great insight here. Give people a break. Encourage, don’t Criticize. Preface advice with “It’s been my experience” rather than “You should not do that”, or “I would hate to be an animal in your care”. I’m done replying to people who will argue with a rock in a game of who moves first loses and swears the rock moves before them. That intellectual mentality shouldn’t advise anyone on anything accept the rock and the rules to the game. People are Nucking Futs
This response is because you listen to no one and make excuses for everything and have already disrespected many on here. I don't give respect when it's not given!
I believe you are a troll!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

There is simply so much to learn about these animals in which humans have just scratched the surface. The problem with people who troll these forums looking to tell someone something they can’t possibly know the true scientific answer they is ignorant (to use your word) and arrogant for you to think you have great insight here. Give people a break. Encourage, don’t Criticize. Preface advice with “It’s been my experience” rather than “You should not do that”, or “I would hate to be an animal in your care”. I’m done replying to people who will argue with a rock in a game of who moves first loses and swears the rock moves before them. That intellectual mentality shouldn’t advise anyone on anything accept the rock and the rules to the game.
You need to move on. You help no one and only disrespect everyone. If you had a clue about this forum you would know we dont Google for our care, we have too much experience, knowledge, proof and experiments right here within this forum. If people don't really want the help then they shouldn't ask for it. Most of us give it straight up and won't blow smoke up them to sugar coat it. An animals life may be in danger.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.

SMH o_O

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Well, there's no talking to you, so this is the last I'm going to say on this subject - I operated a turtle/tortoise rescue for over fifty years. During that time I rehabbed many, many sick, injured and ill treated turtles and tortoises. I learned a lot from that experience. I saw what happens to tortoises when they are kept with other species. Besides the rescue I bred, raised and sold many, many tortoises, mostly leopards. I used the experience posted by Tom, who experimented with different ways of raising babies and was kind enough to share the results of his experiments with us here on the forum.

We're not blowin' smoke here. We're offering the benefit of years worth of experience through trial and error, and we've found what works. Do we know it all? No. We're still learning. Thank goodness we've found this forum and are able to reach out to new keepers and help change the old, outdated ways we all operated.
Can you see me standing up and clapping, oh wait, can you hear me standing up and clapping, No, well I am! Thank you @YvonneG

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
This response is because you listen to no one and make excuses for everything and have already disrespected many on here. I don't give respect when it's not given!
I second that! Troll it is!

Toombsk16

Brooklyn, CT
LMAO, most of you regulars on here are Nucking Futs! I disrespected no one. I am simply saying that people are too quick to criticize and stand on their soap box thinking they are all wise because they have kept their Tortoise alive, or rescued some. While rescuing is admirable they are not full of knowledge, they are following the science that has been learned about Tortoises. When it comes to behavior and what they like best, don’t like, etc. there has not been enough time gone buy to form conclusions. It will take generations of Tortoises to live out their life in homes as family pets before real knowledge is known and not just speculate. . Of course the common sense things are obvious, but beyond this too many people just feed each other’s egos. Have fun with your club of people who spew out advice that comes from opinions and not fact off lifetimes of knowledge that will have to be understood about their actual emotional needs.

Now go away!

Status
Not open for further replies.