I need help sexing this RES!?

Oliver??

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have a 6 in. Red-eared slider named Yertle. He(or she) lives in a 1000 gallon pond I built for him/she. A friend of mine found a large 12 in. female red eared slider that someone had most likely dumped off in a small creek by her house. She offered the turtle to me and I took it.
I have always thought that Yertle is a female but after I introduced the large female to Yertle. Yertle became very aggressive and it almost looked like Yertle was trying to mate with the large female. So I am asking for help identifying the sex of Yertle. Thanks?ECEDF558-5109-4C01-B7AF-5BF1AC42C706.jpeg4402F895-F500-45F6-8634-8093F4603E0B.jpeg38647FA9-6FB5-4CC4-9889-4C9F11DC1ACF.jpeg202AC6D2-FC51-40E4-82FC-17AE68C85223.jpeg68C38741-4D05-49B6-BFB1-7A821120A076.jpegF9840A9F-82B8-4529-BC16-3883706C6A3A.jpeg

Oliver??

California
Yertle could be a male...but it hard to tell for me. One hand characteristic looks female too.
Thanks for replying. Figuring out Yertles gender has really got me stumped?. I’m really hoping he/she’s female because I don’t want to end up with a bunch of baby sliders??

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks for replying. Figuring out Yertles gender has really got me stumped?. I’m really hoping she’s female because I don’t want to end up with a bunch of baby sliders??
I know they are a very common turtles...but I would be screaming of joy to see some little emeralds popping out of the ground! Lol

Oliver??

California
I would like to get a few more opinions if anyone sees this. Here is a picture of Yertle’s tail. 60FC7779-3906-4405-9A81-7AD7B5C663D0.jpeg (From my research this tail looks like it indicates Yertle is female)

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Some mixed signals with this one. lol The cloacal opening is right around the midline. The plastron appears mostly flat (and even convex), and the nose is snub. @Toddrickfl1 ?

Regardless. Turtles are territorial and, as in mammals, the behaviors used for sexual purposes are also used to display/exert dominance.

Two turtles need a lot of space in order to live peaceably. A. Lot. Even if Yertle is female, they will have a drive to protect their territory and resources (food, mainly). Plopping a second turtle into an enclosure is often frustratingly full of fail (for us and the losing turt; the turtle who wins the battle feels very successful).

You may need to maintain them separately if things don't settle down (and you are certain you don't want more). Make sure there is more than enough food, and plenty of places to bask/hide. Two animals more easily fixate on each other than larger groups.

Salisbury
I have a 6 in. Red-eared slider named Yertle. He(or she) lives in a 1000 gallon pond I built for him/she. A friend of mine found a large 12 in. female red eared slider that someone had most likely dumped off in a small creek by her house. She offered the turtle to me and I took it.
I have always thought that Yertle is a female but after I introduced the large female to Yertle. Yertle became very aggressive and it almost looked like Yertle was trying to mate with the large female. So I am asking for help identifying the sex of Yertle. Thanks?View attachment 297173View attachment 297174View attachment 297175View attachment 297176View attachment 297177View attachment 297178
I’d say it’s a male

Oliver??

California
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. If your reading this and have an opinion on the gender I would love to hear it. I will keep paying very close attention to the turtles. The good news is Yertle is only 6 in and the large female (12 in) is very gentle and not showing any aggression. Hopefully they will learn to live with each other.
In the pond there are 4 caves and many basking areas. If they don’t stop fighting I will have to separate them and try to find a new home for the large female??

Texas
How big is your pond? and I agree with everyone on here saying that Yertle is definitely a female turtle. Those nails aren't long enough for it to be male. At 4 inches Male display nails three time as long as Yertle. The tail seems to be very small.

Oliver??

California
How big is your pond? and I agree with everyone on here saying that Yertle is definitely a female turtle. Those nails aren't long enough for it to be male. At 4 inches Male display nails three time as long as Yertle. The tail seems to be very small.
Thanks for replying. My pond is about 1000 gallons.