I need help with my Herrman's beak!!

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, Ohio
I have a 2 1/2 year old male Herrman's tortoise and I came out to find him a few mornings ago with what looks like a detached or cracked beak on the side of his face. I talked to my breeder and he said that the beak is like a finger nail and after him viewing these pictures he said it might warrant a vet visit maybe. Can anyone tell me from the pictures what they think is going on and what I can do? Any help would sooth my spirit. I am really worried and I can't afford a vet visit plus I don't know what they would do??

Thanks ahead of time Darren!

Attachments

• IMG_3363.JPG
    IMG_3363.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3365.JPG
    IMG_3365.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3367.JPG
    IMG_3367.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
I have a 2 1/2 year old male Herrman's tortoise and I came out to find him a few mornings ago with what looks like a detached or cracked beak on the side of his face. I talked to my breeder and he said that the beak is like a finger nail and after him viewing these pictures he said it might warrant a vet visit maybe. Can anyone tell me from the pictures what they think is going on and what I can do? Any help would sooth my spirit. I am really worried and I can't afford a vet visit plus I don't know what they would do??

The last picture is the un split side

Attachments

• IMG_3365.jpeg
    IMG_3365.jpeg
    901.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3363.jpeg
    IMG_3363.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3367.jpeg
    IMG_3367.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Aw poor guy! Hopefully Yvonne with have some advice, I’m personally thinking it might be worth taking him in so a vet can carefully use a dremal to gently file it down so the crack isn’t as long, which will hopefully stop it snagging and moving further up, his beak looks be on the longer side anyway so I don’t think it would hurt. I’ve seen it done in rescue parrots with cracked beaks, they try to file away as much of the crack as possible, let’s see what others think🙂

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Aw poor guy! Hopefully Yvonne with have some advice, I’m personally thinking it might be worth taking him in so a vet can carefully use a dremal to gently file it down so the crack isn’t as long, which will hopefully stop it snagging and moving further up, his beak looks be on the longer side anyway so I don’t think it would hurt. I’ve seen it done in rescue parrots with cracked beaks, they try to file away as much of the crack as possible, let’s see what others think🙂
I’m also having a problem finding a tortoise vet around my area. There are ones that say the do pocket pets and reptiles. I just don’t want to take him where all they mostly do is dogs and cats.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Maybe someone knows of a good tortoise vet near you. Try searching the forum for vets.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is that section loose? Can you wiggle it? If so, it will have to come off. The beak will grow back, but the broken part will not reattach. Try to wiggle it back
and forth, back and forth to see if you can get it off. It would be painful if it's still attached firmly, and in that case a vet should be called upon

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Is that section loose? Can you wiggle it? If so, it will have to come off. The beak will grow back, but the broken part will not reattach. Try to wiggle it back
and forth, back and forth to see if you can get it off. It would be painful if it's still attached firmly, and in that case a vet should be called upon
I’m just noticing there’s cracks on both sides in the photos, I don’t think it’s a loose section😕
7FB48EE9-C0AC-4AF4-9AEF-0350D79F9834.jpeg

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
I got the edge of my fingernail under it and it bends and wiggles. I just don’t want to hurt him and I don’t know any vets around me that handle tortoises. I just don’t know what to do. I don’t want to hurt him.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
The issue is there is a beak overhang which needs a tidy up. Is there a reptile shop in the vicinity as they may have someone experienced to file and check. Whilst there is a crack on 1 side there is a chip on the other. Once you get this looked at then buy a plant base terracotta dish (big enough for the tortoise to crawl onto and sit on it ) and serve fresh leaves on that . The beak will be brushed against the base of dish which helps trimming. Ensure calcium is on the leaves and add a cuttlefish this helps strong shell, bones, claws and beak.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Should I find a vet to be safe??

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I got the edge of my fingernail under it and it bends and wiggles. I just don’t want to hurt him and I don’t know any vets around me that handle tortoises. I just don’t know what to do. I don’t want to hurt him.
I wonder if a vet who is accustomed to filing down mammals teeth - such as rabbits - would be able to help - they use a little dremel type sander, and might be prepared to give it a try, if you held Bobo's head firmly - or, ideally, a reptile shop might help.
Angie

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is it safe to get both sides off at the same time? I'm just curious

Starmar

Coastal South Carolina

You could try to file the beak down yourself. Do not use a dremel tool. Let a veterinarian do that. I’ve used an Emory board that people file their nails with. Plus this is less stressful than the dremel. My male Burmese Star had this exact problem. I filed it back into shape with no problem. You may also want to put a calcium block in the enclosure. After a while they will nibble on it and help keep the beak worn to where it needs to be. Others on here will have more suggestions as well. You could also try a vet that works on birds. To file a bird beak is almost the same as the tortoise beak. You can also get on YouTube and look up Kamp Kenan. He files a tortoise beak and shows you how even though he uses a dremel and he knows what he is doing. I hope some of this helps. Good luck!

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
He bites on his legs when I hold him or put him on my chest and only when I do that. Do you think that might have caused it? I found a vet by me that deals with exotics and herbivores but I don’t think I can swing the cost. I’m just in a bad way. Can anyone help me?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Can you wrap him in a towel, put him on the table and then try to file it? This way he can't get his nails into you? I only say table because I am older with a bad knee