I need help!

caits1300

(Note from moderator Yvonne: I've combined all of Cait's threads into this one because basically she's wanting to know the size of different mediterranean species. In order to not duplicate the answers any more than we already have, I've merged the threads.)

Hi,I'm looking to buy a tortoise. I live in the uk and it's quite cool,I would like a tortoise breed that stays relatively small but can survive in are type of weather.If you could name some breeds it would be really helpful!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The most common tortoises kept in the UK are the Mediterranean species - Greek, Hermann and Horsefield.

caits1300

Which is smaller when full grown?

Hey, I was just wondering which is the smallest when they're fully grown the horsefield tortoise or the herman tortoise.Would be VERY greatful for any help and advice!:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Which is better?

Russians are smaller than Eastern Hermanns, which are the type we normally see. If you are somehow able to obtain a Western Hermanns, they are often closer in size to a russian.

Why do you ask? Both of the above species still need very large enclosures with lots of room to move.

caits1300

Which is better?

Thanks so do you know how big Russians are fully grown? Sorry to ask...

caits1300

This may be a silly question

Right..I might sound a right dafty asking this but.... Is a horsefield tortoise another way of saying a Russian tortoise?
And this is another question how big do the Greek tortoises grow to?

caits1300

HELP!! I NEED THE TRUTH!!

Basically I need to know the truth! I've been looking on lots of different websites and they've gave me all different answers! So here's the big question....how big is the Greek tortoise fully grown???? I will really REALLY really appreciate this information! Any owners let me know or anyone with reliable information! Thanks! :D

caits1300

How big do Greek tortoises get?

I've been looking all over the internet to find this info out and I've got so many different answers.
So please can anyone answer my question how big is a Greek tortoise fully grown? Please any owners or anyone with reliable
Information please help.REALLY REALLY will appreciate it! Thanks :D

Whitneyrae

females are between 8-10 inches and males are between 6-8 inches. From what I've read so far both of them need very large enclosures, with their tanks being at least 55 gallons at a minimum, I made the mistake of getting too small of an enclosure and ended up wasting $250, so just make sure you have the right stuff to start with, it will save you time, money, and your tortoise some stress. I hope this helps.

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
RE: HELP!!!

Typically 5-8", but this varies across the different subspecies. I have an adult male Ibera that is about 7.5", I believe 7-8" is most common. However, females tend to get a little larger than males and I think there are some up to 11" out there.

HJ1983

New York City
HELP!! I NEED THE TRUTH!!

Did you look on this website? Here's a screenshot of the Greek tortoise care sheet here on the forum. ImageUploadedByTortForum1395864965.665453.jpg

And here is the link to the care sheet.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/showthread.php?tid=87146

I hope this answered your question.

Good luck!

By the way your subject line is misleading. I thought you had an emergency.

And the information here is 100% reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
RE: HELP!! I NEED THE TRUTH!!

It depends on sub species and localties. Ibera can get rather large. Greaca terredtrius can get large too. Some of the 30 plus(or so I believe) subspecies all vary in size. Your looking between 9-13" pending on male or female and sub species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: How big do Greek tortoises get?

Hi Cait:

There's really no reason for you to name every thread you start "Help!" If you'll just put a bit about what you're thread is about, you'll get just as many good answers as you do with "help", which I normally change anyway. And, if you'll notice, I've merged the two threads you asked the same question in into one thread.

caits1300

How big do Greek tortoises get?

Ok thanks most of this was helpful,do you know how big golden Greek torts get?

caits1300

Still confused about sizes of Mediterranean tortoises

Right,I've asked quite a few questions on this and still a bit unsure which tort to get...
Are golden Greek torts the same size as Russian or Hermans fully grown?and how big do they all get?..:)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA

caits1300 said:
Gallons??

That or 3' x 6 ' or 100CM X 200 CM enclosure at lease for Hermann or Russians. That is for one tortoise. if you like to have a pair, you need at lease 4' X 8' enclosure.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
RE: Still confused?

It kind of depends. I have some Russian females that are bigger than the female Golden greeks (or about the same size.) I have some very small male Russians that are definitely smaller than the male golden greeks. In general they are about the same size (same as Hermann's.)