I need ID's on these DBT's Please :)

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
Ive picked up a couple adult groups over the last little while and i have a few that have me stumped as far as ID goes? Ive received a few different opinions but cant seem to make anything concrete and I would really like to pair them up properly.
This guy was sold to me as a patternless male northern, Ive been told its maybe a cross northern /texas or even ornate?
044_zps7540d1a2.jpg

046_zps89978ed4.jpg

045_zps4f88c611.jpg

This pair i was told were ornates, then once i got them perhaps super texas?
004_zpse72c7bc6.jpg

070_zpsc9eab2f8.jpg

066_zps9fec609b.jpg

And this little guy I thought was a dark concentric? Now im thinking florida?
096_zps88c71a68.jpg

095_zpsaa39e6da.jpg

094_zps32b0acdb.jpg

And lastly this big girl, I was told because shes so white its concentric even though her spots arent blotchy like the rest of them. Is this a northern cross/hybrid?
008_zpscc88af78.jpg

Thanks for any Info or opinions you guys can share, Im at a loss for info on them as they were collected over the years from various stores/people up here in canada.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Redfoot Nerd seems to have a pretty good grasp on the DBT species. Maybe he can help you.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
First and foremost.. we have to accept the fact - many years ago the "turtle-soup" kitchens were closed.. and as a result all of the commercial fisherman/suppliers dumped all of the "stock" into the nearest body of water.. often not their 'native' waters!

PLUS and in addition: many [ breeders? ] just let all of them co-habitate and produce what the different 'locales' produced. I know of some that purposely "cross" them to create their own "designer" hybred to make more money from them due to the rarity.

I see this one as a light phased Northern -mainly because of the plain/no-patterned plastron

These are most likely TexanXOrnate - [ the keel "knobs" are Texan! ]

Texan -

I had this one from a breeder??? - that made it from that combo -

These with the moustache.. Gulf Coast - Louisiana(sp.?).. Mississippi.. etc. -

Another Northern - [ I borrowed a female crossing the causeway on her way to nest.. she laid 6 eggs that produced hatchlings with 4 different colors and "dotted/speckled" head patterns - she was returned a couple weeks later ] -

The "hair-pins" on the plastron [ regardless the color phases of the head, etc. ] is commonly called Concentrics.

Finding "pure-bred" Terrapins isn't as common these daze!

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Terry Thank you so much :) I understand the mess of the gene pool for sure Im just trying to avoid an crosses myself if possible.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Too bad we live "worlds" apart Hustler.. [ email me direct?.. ].. we could exchange Terrapins, etc.

Anxious to see this one when he grows up -

Those TexanXOrnate? .. have they ever bred? That male I had never seemed to be interested in any female. I'm convinced the X's are either very aggressive/mean or passive!

This ConcentricXOrnate female was downright hateful -

Both of these X's came along with a trade.. they didn't fit with any of mine so they didn't stay long - went to someone who wanted a lone "show" terrapin.

BTW.. those GULF COAST do go acroos the panhandle of Florida and south to maybe Tampa.. so you were right on that one!