I need some good advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patr1ck

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sonoran Desert, AZ
As some of you have read in my other posts, I have been recently reacquainted with my childhood pet from 30 years ago, a Desert Tortoise. It was a last minute ordeal as my parents sold their house recently. I built him a proper burrow and put him in there where he stayed for a couple of days until it rained one night and he decided to come out. Since I have dogs (which would probably be ok anyway) I didn't want to take a chance on something bad happening to my Tortoise before I got a fence built to divide the yard. So I woke him up from brumation and built him an enclosure in the garage with a heat lamp and heat emitter, coco coir substrate, a water dish, a hide and a food dish. It is 104 degrees in the hot side and 78 in the cool side of his enclosure. He comes out and cruises around under his light and drinks water every couple of days. He pooped a couple of times right after I put him in his enclosure under the heat lamp @ 3 weeks ago but hasn't since. He appears completely healthy but hasn't eaten. Im starting to get nervous of this. I've tried giving him Hibiscus flowers, Bermuda grass, napolitos cactus, celery greens, and store bought tortoise food. He sniffs these things but has yet to take a bite of any of them. What should my next course of action be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What? You don't want the bad advice too? :D

This is to be expected. For the last 30 years his body has followed a pattern. This pattern had to be broken and it will take some time for him to catch up. As the outside temps get warmer and the days get longer, he should get back to normal. Over spring and summer he will have time to acclimate to the new surroundings and routine and his normal pattern should resume.

Try offering some of the foods he ate at his old house.

It is a mistake to think that he and the dogs will be okay together. We see this tragedy here far too often. NEVER leave them unsupervised with him. Not even for two seconds while you answer the phone or something. Put that fence up BEFORE he goes out in the spring.

Patr1ck

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert, AZ
Tom said:
What? You don't want the bad advice too? :D

This is to be expected. For the last 30 years his body has followed a pattern. This pattern had to be broken and it will take some time for him to catch up. As the outside temps get warmer and the days get longer, he should get back to normal. Over spring and summer he will have time to acclimate to the new surroundings and routine and his normal pattern should resume.

Try offering some of the foods he ate at his old house.

It is a mistake to think that he and the dogs will be okay together. We see this tragedy here far too often. NEVER leave them unsupervised with him. Not even for two seconds while you answer the phone or something. Put that fence up BEFORE he goes out in the spring.

Definitely will have that fence up before he goes back outside. His old diet had a lot of Bermuda grass in it which is why I offered that to him. At what point do you think I should become worried about his not eating? Thank you for your advice.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would not worry about the food consumption just yet...they can be just fine for prolonged periods of time without food....it is good he is cruising and drinking.

He is likely like "what the heck" why am I awake right now? lol. So, give him time to get acclimated to new environment, being awake when he knows he is usually recharging with beauty sleep right now..he will adjust. Also, if he is in check for brumation next year, this one year interrupted won't bother him at all....:D

Patr1ck

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert, AZ
ascott said:
I would not worry about the food consumption just yet...they can be just fine for prolonged periods of time without food....it is good he is cruising and drinking.

He is likely like "what the heck" why am I awake right now? lol. So, give him time to get acclimated to new environment, being awake when he knows he is usually recharging with beauty sleep right now..he will adjust. Also, if he is in check for brumation next year, this one year interrupted won't bother him at all....:D

How long should I wait before I need to worry?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look in the produce section of your grocery store for Spring Mix. It is in the packaged lettuces section. I'll bet that will tempt him to eat. But go through it and if it has a whole bunch of spinach, pull out and toss some of that.

Tortoises can go a very long time without eating. If he goes much longer that a couple more weeks, then I'd start to worry.

I don't remember reading if you've placed him in a little tub of warm water to see if he needs to soak and drink. That wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Patr1ck

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert, AZ
emysemys said:
Look in the produce section of your grocery store for Spring Mix. It is in the packaged lettuces section. I'll bet that will tempt him to eat. But go through it and if it has a whole bunch of spinach, pull out and toss some of that.

Tortoises can go a very long time without eating. If he goes much longer that a couple more weeks, then I'd start to worry.

I don't remember reading if you've placed him in a little tub of warm water to see if he needs to soak and drink. That wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I was going to soak him but then he did it himself in his big water dish. I'll try the spring mix and a soak. Thanks.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
how many hours of light does he have in the garage..
and DO worry about the dogs... they are dogs...no matter how much you love them...

Patr1ck

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert, AZ
Laura said:
how many hours of light does he have in the garage..
and DO worry about the dogs... they are dogs...no matter how much you love them...

He gets about 10 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.