I need someone to talk sense into me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I have had my little Tortie for 9mths now, and i am already thinking about my next buy, i am thinking of setting up a water turtle incloser and get a small species, i am telling my self about the added cost of care and what if either Shelby or the Turtle get sick but i can not shake the idea HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D I say listen to your inner voice and go for it! So a little water turtle? Are you thinking something like a mud or musk when you say that? Life is full of unexpected problems and issues and IF that slim chance happened and one of them got sick, you would find a way to cover the vet costs. Atleast for me, I have always found that giving things a try works out better in the end for me, then living with regrets and those nasty "if onlys" and "I shouldas".

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
I have kept map turtles before. They are really cool and a lot of fun to watch. However, with the coolness factor and the fun, comes a lot of work also. Keeping the water clean, cleaning the filters, cleaning the tank...etc. It got to be too much for me and I had to get rid of mine. If you have the time to clean and take care of the tank, then they are well worth it. If completely draining a tank, taking it outside and cleaning it and the filter every few weeks doesn't sound that bad, then go for it! They are really cool to watch.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Too much work for me. I would stick to land animal.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Turn to gardening... lol. I bought myself a little green house and am in the process of starting alot of different plants for my enclosure and for feeding. I am also concentrating on building a large enclosure and then I'll start thinking about an outside one :D. I have to agree, I think a water turtle would be alot of work, like fish. I always love looking at a beautiful fish tank but whenever I try all I get is algae...lol

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Ok i am over it lol. I have tropical fish and have a hard time keeping the Algae at bay the thought of having to completely drain an strip it down every few weeks did it for me lol, I will concentrate on Shelby and growing plants for her. I have also just read they do not like been touched like Tortoise do i love being able to scratch Shelbys head and watch her enjoy it.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Tracy,
I don't know. We had picked up this little razorback turtle and had him right on our kitchen counter. It was a pretty small turtle so a pretty small tank. It was a nice addition to our kitchen, as we had anoles on the counter for the last 2 years and when they died the counter seemed bare. The filter was a small lay down type and I did have to drain the tank about every week or 2. But honestly that was it. He died, though and we have no idea why. I am hesitant to get another because we lost him within a year or so and no signs of anything. But I am hoping that was just a fluke?
So I say go for it!!

He was so cute!!!
http://picasaweb.google.com/NadineNat/Razorback#5494518395773820754
Nay

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Ha ha! The thread title reminded me of the "talk" Chris has to give me every time we go to the zoo and I think Aldabrans are a good idea...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have a little Stinkpot musk turtle and a Three Lined mud, and I love them both. They don't grow very large, only to 4-6" MAX (my Stinkpot is 3 1/2 and I am pretty sure done growing, as he is male.) With an above tank basking area and a good filter, they are very easy to care for.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Nay said:
Hi Tracy,
I don't know. We had picked up this little razorback turtle and had him right on our kitchen counter. It was a pretty small turtle so a pretty small tank. It was a nice addition to our kitchen, as we had anoles on the counter for the last 2 years and when they died the counter seemed bare. The filter was a small lay down type and I did have to drain the tank about every week or 2. But honestly that was it. He died, though and we have no idea why. I am hesitant to get another because we lost him within a year or so and no signs of anything. But I am hoping that was just a fluke?
So I say go for it!!

He was so cute!!!
http://picasaweb.google.com/NadineNat/Razorback#5494518395773820754
Nay

AWW that is So cute and is not helping lol, my hubby would kill me the house is getting like a zoo, it as taken me 21 years to get him to agree to Shelby he bought me Her/him for my 40th birthday last year and i promise i would let up on the pets :rolleyes:

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Get a spotted turtle..stays small,doesn't need as much water,and very cool personality..I've made all my filters in the past (just 1 set up now) and they work 10x better than any filter you can buy and they're 10x cheaper...I haven't touched my filter in over a yr. and my water is perfect.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
How did u make the Filter? I have a Tropical fish tank and I am fed up with cleaning it the filter clogs up easy. I think i am putting adding a new pet on hold I have plent to look after and I am limited on free space so i will wait a while and concentrate on them.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Let me tell you water turtles require more maintenance in my opinion. The water that is involved makes it difficult in my experience. If you don't have the equipment now it may be expensive. I would personally go with a tortoise. I don't think I will go back to a water turtle

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
HarleyK said:
Let me tell you water turtles require more maintenance in my opinion. The water that is involved makes it difficult in my experience. If you don't have the equipment now it may be expensive. I would personally go with a tortoise. I don't think I will go back to a water turtle

I am sticking with my Hermann s for now I have too many pets at the moment as it is maybe one day i will get one but for now i am focusing on Shelby and my other pets. I get like i did yesterday every so often i see something and fall in love and that it i want one but it best i just focus on what i have and keeping them all healthy and happy than take more on and make caring for them harder.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Angi said:
Too much work for me. I would stick to land animal.

2nd that...with aquatic turtles, you basically have two choices:

A - keep the tank and every single part of the turtle's home spotless at all times.

B - get used to "that smell".

Status
Not open for further replies.