I need Sugar Glider help please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
maggie3fan said:
I did everything I know to do and he died in my hand this morning. The breeder I got him from and several other people say that there was something else wrong with him, that the penis prolapse was a secondary problem. That they don't die from a prolapsed penis. But I still feel very bad I didn't take him to the Vet, or get up in the night and put more KY on his penis. He was urinating thru it and he ate almost as much as normal at dinner last night. However, despite whatever anyone has said holding him in my hand as he died was heart wrenching.
The Vet that was available to me at the time was the same Vet that allowed my Big Bubba to die at his hospital. He took one look at Bubba and said, "Well, he's toast". Now how in the hell do you say something like that to a keeper who is in tears beside herself? I loved Big Bubba with ever fiber of my being and to have him die like that was devastating. He wrapped my Big Bubba in a bath towel and handed me his body without even an I'm sorry. I despise that man and would never and have never taken any more animals to him. So I guess I let my ego take over and that little glider died because of it.
He was nine years old, getting up there for a glider and it has been suggested that there was organ failure that caused his death. So I don't know what you all are thinking, maybe I am not a good keeper. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to have any animals. I don't know, I did my best, but that wasn't good enough. It has been suggested that the Vet wouldn't have been able to do anything anyway. Who knows? I just know it hurts and my confidence is shaken because of it...

Maggie, don't you dare say that about yourself. Any animal that come's in your care ALWAYS gets 110% from you. He wasn't that young and it was just his time. I would trust you with the life of all my animals, and I'm sure others feel the same way. I have seen you go off on anyone who is mis-treating any animal. It is a terrible thing when something you loves dies in your hands, but you certainly did your best. Love and hugs to you.....and I'm am so sorry that this had to happen to you. You are a very caring person.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Maggie I am so sorry.
There was clearly something very wrong with him and you cannot blame yourself. You tried your best and like Terryo said, you care for your animals greatly.
I would trust you with all my animals. You care greatly and if there was something else you could have done you would have done it.

We are all here for you if you need someone to talk to or a shoulder to cry on than you know where i am :)

rasputin

5 Year Member
East Midlands UK
Just thought I'd catch up on how your sugar glider was doing after last night.

I'm so sorry to hear that dad died in your hands. Maggie reading what you wrote brought tears to my eyes.

Your pain will ease and your confidence will grow again..
But what a lovely way for him to pass in your caring hands. you cared for him till the end and was there for him when it was his time.

Big hugs to you and the boy (son) from Nottingham x

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Oh, so sorry to hear that. There are some things that can't be fixed. And you care about your animals to the max!
Never give up.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
So sorry Maggie-you did everything you could have done. Sometimes its beyond our control. Don't feel bad-it sounds like he had a great life with you.

Big Hugs!!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
No matter how hurt you are - you shouldn't blame yourself. It was just his time and you cared for him all the way to the end. Like said above - I would trust you with all of my animals plus some. You can just feel the passion you have for your animals through your postings. Hold your head up and cherish what you still have. Make sure to keep the Son company through the transition. If you need anything PM me, I will help in any way I can.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
maybe I am not a good keeper. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to have any animals. I don't know, I did my best, but that wasn't good enough.

So maggie, I understand what you are expressing and feeling here, totally I do dear... sometimes things happen and we can second guess our actions until we are sick...instead, store away the entire event incase someday someone describes to you a problem they are having...you will no doubt be a great helper to them...

story; the very first bearded dragon i ever cared for was given to me from an old boss (hey this seems to happen to me a bit, just realized that while typing?) who's son no longer wanted the hassle for caring for him..so I said sure, I love reptiles of all kinds...so Larry came to live with us, I cleaned the aquarium, purchased beautiful river rocks/dirt, purchased a nice climbing log/stick, you know the whole set up...I thought I would set him up near the big bright sunny window so he could see the outside world---you know, give him something to watch...since he was so neglected and hardly ever fed (iceburg lettuce was his diet when the kid remembered) he would absolutely love the chosen location....so I pulled the blinds all the way open so he could see out all day while I went to work....so 10 hours later I get home, I have my then baby son in my arms carrying him into the house...go right pass Larry...give a glance over and take a few more steps then realize...huh, why was he staring at me--he did not even flinch when we walked pass....so I set my boy down and walk back over...bend over so I can get a closer look....WHOLLY CRAP....I tap on the glass I reach in and touch him and he is cold and starting to get stiff...he had passed.....could not figure for the life of me what could possibly have happened....so we wrap poor Larry up in a pretty little hanky, place him in a shoe box, the next morning we drive him down to the vets office so that they could dispose of his little frail body (as I could not bring myself to drop him in the trash and if I burried him the neighbors stupid cat would have dug him back up.....it was not til the weekend which was a couple of days later that I realized what had happened to him...so I was siting on the couch and noticed that at about 12:15ish suddenly the sun blasted into the window and into the now vacant tank ...at that moment I realized that I had killed poor, mistreated and neglected Larry....I was mortified with my dumb careless actions (and I knew better, but totally did not realize the way that the sun would move to that window for what would have been easily over and hour and a half)...I was sick for so long every time I imagined poor Larry and his senseless, horrible passing....maggie, my error could have been and was labeled an accident by some...but to me it was absolutely my fault.....

Difference here maggie dear, you did not do anything wrong---your little one was likely having issues that you could not intervene....try not to beat yourself up for this as it is one of the things that happens and will likely never be resolved in your mind or heart....

My situation will always stay with me and you bet I will never place any living creature near a window ever ever again and cringe when ever I see pics with a tortoise in a tank close to windows...and I always hope that the owner has selected a shady spot....

Remember the fun with your little buddy and take peace in the fact that you are who he knew and your hands brought him much pleasure in his life and those same hands were where he was comforted in the passing moment....I am very sorry for your loss maggie...and rest in peace little man...

Status
Not open for further replies.