i need tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
auburn mass
i am getting a russian tortoise in abut 2-3 days i have been reading on them for at least 1 to 2 hrs every day for at least 2 weeks so i was wondering if any one has some tips on any thing from what you think i should feed him or her to what time of year i should take him or her outside(wached). By the way this will be my first tortoise. thx :D

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I replied to this but its not here?! err

Where are you going to get your Russian at?
What age?

found your answer!! dont go to the petstore.. where are you located.. I will be glad to help find a better solution than to pet store

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I would not recommend purchasing a tortoise from a pet store. It will be wild caught and you will have to take it to the vet right away to be treated for parasites. Basically the tortoises are snatched out of their natural habitat, packed on top of each other in crates, and sent to pet stores. Very sad!
I would recommend looking on craigslist or going through a breeder. We can help you find a tortoise if you'd like!

Russiantortoise.org has a good care sheet. Can you tell us more about your plans for your tort as far as the enclosure, substrate, heating, diet, etc. ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mr. Tortoise:

2115589b1of6fdp4j.gif

to the forum!!

If you get a tortoise from a pet store plan on taking it to the vet right off the bat and have it de-wormed.

Its good you have been reading about them and learning how to take care of him before you get him. Do you have all your supplies set up?

mr.tortoise

5 Year Member
auburn mass
I dont have any thing but a 4x2foot tank and i made a new post so that we can all help make a tank for my russian tort together. and thx for the welcome

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What do you mean by a 4x2 tank? 4 feet by 2 feet? An aquarium or some other kind of enclosure?

When I think of "tank" I think of a glass fish tank/aquarium- I house my leopard gecko in a 20 L gallon tank.

eta: I asked the same question in the Intro section so feel free to answer there instead :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
just like a rabbi I work for tips. :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
You and your one-liners... :)

Status