I need to be updated...

YukdaTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
California
Apparently, the stuff I know is a little outdated with some Red Foot tortoise information, I have been looking at stuff like The Spruce Pets, and Reptile Magazine, so can somebody give me a website that has an updated care sheet for RFs. Thank you in advance!:)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Take a look at the pinned threads at the top of our redfoot section. The care sheet you find there written by redfootnerd was written by a long time redfoot keeper and breeder. You can't go wrong following his advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To summarize what I've learned from RF keeps here on our forum:
1. Use a large closed chamber.
2. No basking lamp.
3. Use some lighting on a timer, but have lots of cover, potted plants, and hiding areas. UV will be needed if you are in a cold climate or if your tortoise doesn't get outside much.
4. Use radiant heat panels set on a thermostat to keep the temp around 82-88.
5. Use orchid bark for substrate. This will help keep humidity up while maintaining a dry-ish surface to prevent shell rot.
6. Terra cotta pant saucers sunk into the substrate for food and water.

If you don't already have the tortoise, I would recommend a different species. CA isn't a great place for them too dry here. They do best in warm humid climates. What part of CA are you in? Palm Springs has very different weather than San Francisco.