I need to change the substrate

Ceyda

Location (City and/or State)
Turkey
Hello my tortoise is brumating but I need to change the substrate it’s in I found this out gardener said it’s peat or moss I don’t know what it is in English. I was wondering if this is enough or do I need organic soils to mix it up with? Its and Hermanns tortoise and she’s like 4-5 years old.

Attachments

• 316BADC1-86DB-4E5A-9E2B-16D72DE336BF.jpeg
    316BADC1-86DB-4E5A-9E2B-16D72DE336BF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why do you need to change it? Most of us never change substrate, we just spot clean it daily.
It really shouldn't be changed while brumating.

Ceyda

Turkey
Why do you need to change it? Most of us never change substrate, we just spot clean it daily.
It really shouldn't be changed while brumating.
This is the first time I’m thinking about changing. I won’t change it now but is the picture I post okay for a tortoise or not? I’ve been searching a lot and I just want to know.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
This is the first time I’m thinking about changing. I won’t change it now but is the picture I post okay for a tortoise or not? I’ve been searching a lot and I just want to know.

I think the confusion was that it sounds like you are going to change the substrate the tortoise is currently brumating it?

To answer your question though, that is not a great substrate no, you should only use orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coco coir. They have different properties but all are safe and suitable.

Ceyda

Turkey
I think the confusion was that it sounds like you are going to change the substrate the tortoise is currently brumating it?

To answer your question though, that is not a great substrate no, you should only use orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coco coir. They have different properties but all are safe and suitable.
Oh yeah sorry for the confusion. Thank you now I know the proper substrates. It’s really hard to find a substrate I was trying to find like mountain soils but now I can try to find those when I need to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh yeah sorry for the confusion. Thank you now I know the proper substrates. It’s really hard to find a substrate I was trying to find like mountain soils but now I can try to find those when I need to.
You don't want soil. You don't want peat. You want fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coco coir if its a small Testudo species.

I would not change anything during brumation.

Ceyda

Turkey
You don't want soil. You don't want peat. You want fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coco coir if its a small Testudo species.

I would not change anything during brumation.

Thank you so much