I Need Tortoise Themed Books

TortMom6

Location (City and/or State)
Citrus Heights, California, USA
I am having a hard time finding books (novels) that center around a tortoise, or tortoise keeping. I don't mean care/husbandry/how to/science-y books. I'm talking like novels, fiction or non-fiction, sci-fi (I'm envisioning a tortoise in space), mystery, rescue stories, etc. I can find plenty for children and young readers. I'll even settle for short stories. I have over 900 books and not a single novel about tortoises. Something is seriously wrong with that. So I have decided to ask the people who know tortoises the best, you all

I think we need a thread of tortoise themed books (hopefully there isn't already one and I missed it), so that everyone (mostly me) can peruse it and find new books to read. If you know of any, have a favorite, etc. please post it. (Seriously please, I am getting desperate. If I end up having to write something for myself...well it won't end well to say the least. I read not write.)

Last edited:

TortMom6

Citrus Heights, California, USA
In the interest of sharing I'll post the first one:

The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise by Julia Stuart

It is described as:
Balthazar Jones has lived in the Tower of London with his loving wife, Hebe, and his 120-year-old pet tortoise for the past eight years. That’s right, he is a Beefeater (they really do live there). It’s no easy job living and working in the tourist attraction in present-day London.

Among the eccentric characters who call the Tower’s maze of ancient buildings and spiral staircases home are the Tower’s Rack & Ruin barmaid, Ruby Dore, who just found out she’s pregnant; portly Valerie Jennings, who is falling for ticket inspector Arthur Catnip; the lifelong bachelor Reverend Septimus Drew, who secretly pens a series of principled erotica; and the philandering Ravenmaster, aiming to avenge the death of one of his insufferable ravens.

When Balthazar is tasked with setting up an elaborate menagerie within the Tower walls to house the many exotic animals gifted to the Queen, life at the Tower gets all the more interesting. Penguins escape, giraffes are stolen, and the Komodo dragon sends innocent people running for their lives. Balthazar is in charge and things are not exactly running smoothly. Then Hebe decides to leave him and his beloved tortoise “runs” away.

Filled with the humor and heart that calls to mind the delightful novels of Alexander McCall Smith, and the charm and beauty of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise is a magical, wholly original novel whose irresistible characters will stay with you long after you turn the stunning last page.

SummerMagpie31

Richland, WA
Might not be what you’re looking for, as the character is not really a tortoise, but I’ve always liked Small Gods, by Terry Pratchett.

The first two paragraphs of the plot summary posted on Wikipedia:

The Great God Om tries to manifest himself once more in the world, as the time of his eighth prophet is nigh. He is surprised, however, when he finds himself in the body of a tortoise, stripped of his divine powers.

In the gardens of Omnia's capital he addresses the novice Brutha, the only one able to hear his voice. Om has a hard time convincing the boy of his godliness, as Brutha is convinced that Om can do anything he wants, and would not want to appear as a tortoise.