I noticed small dark worms in Max’s water pool today.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, Alabama
I noticed small dark worms in Max’s water pool today. They looked almost like mosquito larva but they won’t wiggling and a little bigger. I clean out the pool about every other day.
Is it possible Max is passing these worms when he poop’s in the pool.
Thanks Gerry

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
ive had drain fly larvae in my turtle tank before. try looking at those

edit- nevermind. this is outdoors and drain flies are way too small.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no parasitic tortoise worm that looks anything like a mosquito larvae. It might have been young mosquito larvae.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Way back in the olden days when I had aquariums with tropical fish, it was common for my aquariums to eventually just like magic, have lots of worms appear in the substrate. They would be buried, but sticking up out of the gravel. I never knew where they came from, but they didn't seem to be harmful.

My friend Google now tells me these are detritus worms and that my aquariums needed to be cleaned.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
Thank you, after looking up the detritus worms, they didn’t look like the ones I seen in Max’s pool. Of course I will be on the lookout for them, from now on.
From the information everyone has provided me, so far, it’s not likely they are coming from Max being wormy. That’s what I was worried about.
Gerry

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Way back in the olden days when I had aquariums with tropical fish, it was common for my aquariums to eventually just like magic, have lots of worms appear in the substrate. They would be buried, but sticking up out of the gravel. I never knew where they came from, but they didn't seem to be harmful.

My friend Google now tells me these are detritus worms and that my aquariums needed to be cleaned.
Same thing with a bloom of Hydra stuck on the glass.

jackieclair

Garstang UK