I think he finally likes me

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
6 months ago I bought a 5 year old Russian who hadn't had the best start in life.When I'd go near him he'd stomp about as if he was trying to frighten me away.Today i was sitting outside talking to him and he came over stretched his neck out ,put his head on my foot and went to sleep.it was such an emotional moment I cried for about 2 hours lol .
He'll probably be back to his stompy self tomorrow,but it was like he was telling me he trusted me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I'm not sure I'd cry for two hours, but its still pretty cool none the less. Its nice to see somebody who is so happy with their tortoise! Glad you guys are cool with each other. :)

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Awww..... That is so cute. Crossing my fingers that he stays that way now, now that he sees he isn't going to get hurt or is in any harm. :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
"Today my human has become mildly tolerable. Very mildly tolerable."

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
As predicted he stomped on past me today,but at least i know he's finally started to trust me.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
I love when you have momentary breakthroughs like that. My tortoise has always been pretty friendly, but one time I sat down on the ground and crooned his name/baby talked and he walked over to me and climbed into my lap! I nearly shed a tear, haha! Lucky I had people there to witness the moment with me. Totally awesome.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Wewt said:
I love when you have momentary breakthroughs like that. My tortoise has always been pretty friendly, but one time I sat down on the ground and crooned his name/baby talked and he walked over to me and climbed into my lap! I nearly shed a tear, haha! Lucky I had people there to witness the moment with me. Totally awesome.

I've got 2 Greeks that i bought when they were about 3 weeks old and they are really friendly and they'll climb all over me,But this russian would jump and hiss every time i went near him,he'd obviously had a bad experience with humans.and it was heartbreaking to know he felt so vulnerable.
I sit for hours talking to him and over the months he has started to let me tickle his head,but yesterday i was gobsmacked,just wish i'd had my phone near to take a pic.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
pepsiandjac said:
Wewt said:

I've got 2 Greeks that i bought when they were about 3 weeks old and they are really friendly and they'll climb all over me,But this russian would jump and hiss every time i went near him,he'd obviously had a bad experience with humans.and it was heartbreaking to know he felt so vulnerable.
I sit for hours talking to him and over the months he has started to let me tickle his head,but yesterday i was gobsmacked,just wish i'd had my phone near to take a pic.

Such a sweet story! Those little moments are worth all the hard work and patience for sure.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm jealous! Mo is still "barely tolerating" me. He definitely recognizes me, but seems to not really care or trust yet. He won't eat if he knows I'm around. Prefers to scavenge weeds from yard.

Now, if I pet his shell, he won't retract. Will walk by me, but not to me yet. I've had him 12 days.
I'm just being patient, assuming if I'm kind, slow, quiet, consistent...in a few months he will warm up to me and we can be friends.

I nearly cried reading your story!!! I'd cry too if Mo laid his head on my foot, that would be a major breakthrough

Sandy in Oregon
Schlomo the rescue Sulcata
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis)
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
SenjiSandy said:
I'm jealous! Mo is still "barely tolerating" me. He definitely recognizes me, but seems to not really care or trust yet. He won't eat if he knows I'm around. Prefers to scavenge weeds from yard.

Now, if I pet his shell, he won't retract. Will walk by me, but not to me yet. I've had him 12 days.
I'm just being patient, assuming if I'm kind, slow, quiet, consistent...in a few months he will warm up to me and we can be friends.

I nearly cried reading your story!!! I'd cry too if Mo laid his head on my foot, that would be a major breakthrough

Sandy in Oregon
Schlomo the rescue Sulcata
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis)
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app
Give him time,it's taken over 6 months to get this far,mind you he's stomped right past me ever since lol.

PrincessToad

5 Year Member
I would've cried too! I used to have a russian that was very affectionate. My newer one knows who I am, but isn't as attached as my last. I'm hoping that changes. Good luck! Hope your baby takes more feet naps with you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.