I think I have a huge marokkensis, can anyone confirm?

El_barto

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hi everyone!
I've had this tortoise since 2003 when she was a hatchling, and I know she comes from Morocco. I compared her to pictures and she looks exactly like a marokkensis, but she's huge, like twice as big as the biggest (she weighs 3.5kg, 7.7lbs). Can you experts confirm that she is indeed a marokkensis? Thanks !
20210219_161308.jpg

20210219_161322.jpg20210219_161346.jpg

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hi everyone!
I've had this tortoise since 2003 when she was a hatchling, and I know she comes from Morocco. I compared her to pictures and she looks exactly like a marokkensis, but she's huge, like twice as big as the biggest (she weighs 3.5kg, 7.7lbs). Can you experts confirm that she is indeed a marokkensis? Thanks !
View attachment 318698

View attachment 318699View attachment 318700
Absolutely beautiful!
Is that part of the greek family? Typically ranging on the smaller end of the scale?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Maybe yours can be called "exceptionally dense" since it's right within the size range but is a lot heavier. The female he showed was 1.5 kg, so they can obviously range higher. Your tortoise looks great. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

El_barto

France
Maybe yours can be called "exceptionally dense" since it's right within the size range but is a lot heavier. The female he showed was 1.5 kg, so they can obviously range higher. Your tortoise looks great. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Haha, a dense tortoise, I like that! I'm not worried at all, she's been that size and weight for a few years now, she's very healthy and happy.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
What you have is formerly known as Testudo graeca whitei, the Algerian tortoise. They’ve now been merged with Testudo graeca marokkensis so yes, that’s what you have. Gorgeous animal and still within the size range for them since Algerian animals are known to be very large, compatible to some of the biggest Ibera.

El_barto

France
What you have is formerly known as Testudo graeca whitei, the Algerian tortoise. They’ve now been merged with Testudo graeca marokkensis so yes, that’s what you have. Gorgeous animal and still within the size range for them since Algerian animals are known to be very large, compatible to some of the biggest Ibera.
Thank you! You are so good at this. How can you tell that she's from Algeria?