I think I'm doing everything wrong [emoji26] please help

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Manassas,VA
After reading multiple post on all topics it seems I'm doing everything wrong. My enclosure is open, my torts are litter mates, that have mated more times than I can count. It looks like based on pictures that both my torts are deformed. I'm trying to re-learn all about what I need to do. I'm planning on making an outdoor enclosure soon so I will definitely do that right. Any feedback on anything is appreciated. 20190529_221501.jpeg20190529_221527.jpeg20190529_221539.jpeg20190528_130216.jpeg20190528_183106.jpeg20190529_221737.jpeg

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Their both 4 years old. Elvis is the larger male and Murphy is the female.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They need to be separated. They need a bigger enclosure. They need a bigger hide and bigger water dishes that they can fit into. They for sure need to be outside during warm months with a sleeping hide for night time.
They must be separated and large enclosure asap

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Relax, you got bad advice now just fix the things listed above. Tortoises are very hardy, so fix one thing then move onto the next. BTW welcome to the forum!

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
They need to be separated. They need a bigger enclosure. They need a bigger hide and bigger water dishes that they can fit into. They for sure need to be outside during warm months with a sleeping hide for night time.
They must be separated and large enclosure asap
If they spend all day and sometimes nights in the yard do you think they could use the current enclosure for just sleeping. Also do you agree their shells are deformed? I really thought I was doing good. I knew their enclosure was too small that's why I let them roam both indoors during the cold weather and outside during the warm weather.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't really see them, but it just looks like they're pyramided, not deformed.

Do you soak them? Yes, the current enclosure could serve as a night box, however, they really each need a their own box.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they spend all day and sometimes nights in the yard do you think they could use the current enclosure for just sleeping. Also do you agree their shells are deformed? I really thought I was doing good. I knew their enclosure was too small that's why I let them roam both indoors during the cold weather and outside during the warm weather.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are making every mistake there is... I say that not to be mean, but to point out what needs to be fixed.

• First off, they are not "mating". They are both too small for that and you usually can't tell the sexes until they are larger than this. You might have two males. The mounting you are seeing is territorial aggression and dominance. The dominant is forcefully telling the other one to get out of its territory. The chronic stress of this is likely to make one or both of them sick. They need to be separated day and night indoor and out from now on.
  • They should never be roaming loose. Not in the house and not outside. They need to be in large secure enclosures. Letting them roam free is a disaster waiting to happen. Tortoises die all the time because of this and the people always say how they've made the area safe and they supervise closely. That's why its called an accident. Accidents seldom happen in properly designed tortoise enclosures.
  • They need it warm at night but also dark. Those colored bulbs mess with their heads. Use radiant heat panels instead.
  • Show us their carapaces along with the tails and anal scutes and we'll try and tell you their sexes.
Other than these points, I agree with what the other posters have said here. I'll leave these threads in case you haven't found them all yet:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Your questions are welcome.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
I can't really see them, but it just looks like they're pyramided, not deformed.

Do you soak them? Yes, the current enclosure could serve as a night box, however, they really each need a their own box.
What if I put a divider until I can make another one and build them an outdoor enclosure.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are making every mistake there is... I say that not to be mean, but to point out what needs to be fixed.

• First off, they are not "mating". They are both too small for that and you usually can't tell the sexes until they are larger than this. You might have two males. The mounting you are seeing is territorial aggression and dominance. The dominant is forcefully telling the other one to get out of its territory. The chronic stress of this is likely to make one or both of them sick. They need to be separated day and night indoor and out from now on.
  • They should never be roaming loose. Not in the house and not outside. They need to be in large secure enclosures. Letting them roam free is a disaster waiting to happen. Tortoises die all the time because of this and the people always say how they've made the area safe and they supervise closely. That's why its called an accident. Accidents seldom happen in properly designed tortoise enclosures.
  • They need it warm at night but also dark. Those colored bulbs mess with their heads. Use radiant heat panels instead.
  • Show us their carapaces along with the tails and anal scutes and we'll try and tell you their sexes.
Other than these points, I agree with what the other posters have said here. I'll leave these threads in case you haven't found them all yet:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Your questions are welcome.
I thought 4 yrs was too young too but what I heard and saw seemed like mating. Your the expert so I will stand corrected. I will send pictures of them tomorrow as they are both sleeping.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What if I put a divider until I can make another one and build them an outdoor enclosure.
A divider is fine in the indoor enclosure for night time sleeping only as they do need to be separated right away. They cant be in that small of an enclosure for any amount of time during the day while they are active.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They look pyramided not deformed but I cant see them all that good.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA

Yes I do but probably not enough. I'm now soaking them daily after bringing them inside, hoping to get them more hydrated.

Karen123

Titusville
I think the place is too small for keeping them together also...try separate them for an upgrade condo...they be much happier.
they are pyramiding. lack of calcium and vitamin D- sunshine. need to be in a larger enclosure. that is not a life living in a small box