I think I'm doing it wrong..

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So I received my Redfoot tortoise from someone who was taking awful care of her - she had no heat lamps for days, no humidity system, and had baby kale nearly every time they fed her, which seemed like once a week.

She had a respiratory infection when I coerced the old owner to take her to the vet, and I finished a series of injections which lasted a month. She stopped squeaking for a while, but during the night I hear her gasping every once in a while and I feel like her respiratory infection may be coming back. Maybe I'm just paranoid. She also sneezes a lot when I put her in her bath for a soak.
I currently have my humidity at 80% with the heat (opposite from the heat lamp) being 80 degrees.

I bought a mistking to make sure she is hydrated while I'm at work, and I've been feeding her a varied diet. My only issue is she still seems to have watery eyes, her nose is possibly cold and runny (I don't really know, I've never had a tortoise before, maybe she just drank some water?) and her head seems to be really dry.

Should I take her back to the vet? Is there anything I should be doing that isn't listed here? Let me know, I'm worried!

Here is a picture of when I first met her and her now. She looks better but still may not be 100%

1511623_10152080414937618_1073297967_o.jpg 003.JPG

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
The only "sure" advice I can give you is that you might want to increase the overall temps to 85F while she's recovering. I'll let those who have dealt with treating RIs give you further help.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
WOW...what a difference in the appearance/look of the torts eyes from the first to the second pic...nice.

I also would say to bump your overall temps to 85, especially if you have a mister on a timer---each time the mister goes on it will lower the temps in the enclosure until that newly added water mists warms back up...so if you bump the temp to no less than 85 it may help...also sneezing while soaking is normal :D

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank you for the advice, both of you. I just bought another CHE so her enclosure should be a bit warmer.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Keep us updated on her condition. Hopefully added warmth, better husbandry and time do the trick.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I would keep one side of the enclosure 85 and make sure like Angela said that it is 85 and not cooler. Since it sounds like it does have something still going on maybe the other side should not get below 70 just for a while. Mine gets to be 60 but if they do have a URI then you'd want to keep the warmth up for a while. I used a humidifier when I had a problem with the breathing. I don't keep the enclosure wet though. Yours is not wet is it? I think that he looks much better in the second picture. Good job getting her to give him to you. :)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Candy said:
I would keep one side of the enclosure 85 and make sure like Angela said that it is 85 and not cooler. Since it sounds like it does have something still going on maybe the other side should not get below 70 just for a while. Mine gets to be 60 but if they do have a URI then you'd want to keep the warmth up for a while. I used a humidifier when I had a problem with the breathing. I don't keep the enclosure wet though. Yours is not wet is it? I think that he looks much better in the second picture. Good job getting her to give him to you. :)

Maybe I'm wrong on this but some sites say that redfoots can handle 65F for brief amounts of time but I don't think you should ever let the temps get lower than 70.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Candy,

Only one part of the enclosure is wet, which is where her water dish is, and it's right below the Mistking setup so I can catch any extra dripping. I try to shift the substrate around so the wetness doesn't accumulate.

I'm pretty happy the owner let me keep her as well :) I never thought I would have a tortoise, but I'm definitely happy to have her. She is a wonderful addition to the family!