I think my cherryheaded red foot is sick. HELP!

jessica_rose

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Hello fellow tortoise lovers,
My 2 year old cherry headed red foot seems to be sick. her eyes get stuck shut, today I had to remove a large eye crusty from her eye in order for her eye to open. a snotty like substance is bubbling out of her nose and I don't know what to do. I've been keeping her tank moist with a spray bottle. I've been feeding her T-Rex dry formula for tortoises(moistened of Course) with the occasional assortment of kale and lettuce. her enclosure is 78 degrees Fahrenheit on the warm side and 65 degrees Fahrenheit on the cool side where her water is and her water is 54 degrees Fahrenheit. She has a UVB Bulb that I put on for her every morning and turn out every night and also a night time (red) heat glow light that I always keep on because it is currently winter in Pennsylvania and it tends to drop below freezing I also have heating pads under the tank on the warm side. I use zoo med eco earth loose coconut fiber substrate bedding and it seems to hold the moisture very well. She does not have a hide hut because as of recently she has grown out of hers and I have yet to get a new one. She has also been sleeping a lot and not very interested in food. she has been sleeping in the cool side of her tank near the water. I hope all of this information will help someone, help me, to help her. Sorry for my information being a little scattered.
Thank you,
Jessica and Ralph

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think your temperatures are too low for a red foot; but hopefully someone more knowledgable about red foot torts will chime in soon.

Good luck.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Will is right. I fear the tortoise has a respiratory infection. Redfoots require moist, *warm* environments. You'll need to take her to a vet that specializes in tortoises so that they can treat the infection. For the time being, you'll need to up the temps to around 85F (though I'm not sure if you need to up it gradually since you've kept the temps fairly low). I wouldn't keep spraying the enclosure down until you get it warmer.

Read www.tortoiselibrary.com for redfoot husbandry. It has information about respiratory infections. Good luck.

abclements

5 Year Member
Hi, first off the eye problems sound like a bulb issue. What kind of uv bulb are you using? If it is a coil type bulb, I would really suggest changing that to a mercury vapor bulb or a tube uvb bulb.

Second, your temps are much too cold. The coldest your enclosure should get is high 70s especially if you're providing the high humidity that a red foot needs. I would suggest buying a ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat and making it so the whole enclosure is warmer.

The runny nose is very problematic and is a tell tale sign of a respiratory infection. You need to get your temps up or this could become a huge problem. Get your temps up and if the runny bubbly nose doesn't stop, you may need to see a vet.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions let us know!

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
Im not sure you need to see a vet quite yet but you may be able to help your tortoise yourself. First, read this whole thread I created on sick tortoise care: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-70438.html
Fallow the instructions on it! It sounds to me, your temps are to low. The coldest your enclosure should get is 70. 82 is the "magic number" for some tortoise keepers for average temp. Other than boosting your temps, give your tort daily soaks in 85 degree water for about 15 mins. A good way to keep the water warm, is put it under the basking bulb. Best of luck to you and your tort. God bless.

abclements

5 Year Member
Oh Ya, I wasn't suggesting a vet yet. I was trying to say that if things don't get better in a little while, it may be a possibility.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Redfoot tortoise or same environmental need torts do not require a huge gradient difference in temps....the enclosure should not be below 80 degrees, ever.

Night and day the temps should never fall below 80, especially if you are running humidity over 60%. When you shut down the day heat source, your humidity is going to spike...which is only great if the enclosure remains warm (no less than 80).

If you want to provide a basking spot, the tort will let you know if they want to use that or not...they will either bask or not....simple.

If your home runs cooler this time of year, or in these recently extreme temps where you are, then I would be sure to make sure the temps are on spot....or your tort will suffer....you can also allow the enclosure to dry out some during this cooler time of year as to not allow a RI to occur....

A smart person once said to me, this type of species, in the wild---would encounter warm wet times then they would encounter warm dryer times....so perhaps you offer the warmer dryer time now, if the tort is experiencing runny nose and eyes....I would offer the warmer temps and accompany the warmer temps with warm water soaks for 30 minutes each and every day....

Also, I do not know what type of lighting you are running, so, what type of lighting are you running during the days hours? I see that you are running heat pads and red heat lamps at night....perhaps you will need to run a stronger night heat bulb to assure the night temps do not fall below 80....

May we please see a pic of the tortoise? A pic of the eyes/face and front leg area around the neck would be good....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Your Tort has an RI infection. As others have mentioned bump your temps nice and high during these times 90...*constant*
Average temps should not dip much into the mid 70's ( even at night) even during the "healthy life" of normal keeping.
Give plenty of warm soaks during these time.. (20min at 85-90 degree water) every day will help her stay hydrated through her cloaca - if you don't see her drinking the water while she is in it, don't worry. She is absorbing it on the other end. Just make sure the water is deep enough to cover her hind end but that she can still easily hold her head out to breathe. These small infections if left alone can turn really nasty.... Pneumonia in tortoises can be a really frustrating disease. It takes a long time to treat and the drugs we use to combat bacterial pneumonia (such as Baytril) can literally cause the tortoise to stop eating. Don't panic tortoise can go a long time without food....At this point, sounds like a bacterial pneumonia ,She needs to be on some type of antibiotics, then it becomes a game of supportive care. Keep offering her small portions of favorite foods, and if it is warm outside, there is nothing better than time in the sun.Good luck and don't give up. This can take several weeks of treatment.....
Your light set up has nothing to do with her eyes being closed at this time ...it is a result of the infection that sets into the eyes and surrounding mucus membranes'. Liquid tears or other type of sterile eye drops will help during these times....also you will need an antibiotic drop/cream to rid infection. Remember to apply all drops *AFTER* soakings ...as the water itself with salts and chlorines will irritate the eyes during/after soakings.

A Vet Trip would be highly advisable to receive proper Meds and dosage , according to your tortoise's weight.

JD~:shy:

jessica_rose

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
ascott said:
Redfoot tortoise or same environmental need torts do not require a huge gradient difference in temps....the enclosure should not be below 80 degrees, ever.

Night and day the temps should never fall below 80, especially if you are running humidity over 60%. When you shut down the day heat source, your humidity is going to spike...which is only great if the enclosure remains warm (no less than 80).

If you want to provide a basking spot, the tort will let you know if they want to use that or not...they will either bask or not....simple.

If your home runs cooler this time of year, or in these recently extreme temps where you are, then I would be sure to make sure the temps are on spot....or your tort will suffer....you can also allow the enclosure to dry out some during this cooler time of year as to not allow a RI to occur....

A smart person once said to me, this type of species, in the wild---would encounter warm wet times then they would encounter warm dryer times....so perhaps you offer the warmer dryer time now, if the tort is experiencing runny nose and eyes....I would offer the warmer temps and accompany the warmer temps with warm water soaks for 30 minutes each and every day....

Also, I do not know what type of lighting you are running, so, what type of lighting are you running during the days hours? I see that you are running heat pads and red heat lamps at night....perhaps you will need to run a stronger night heat bulb to assure the night temps do not fall below 80....

May we please see a pic of the tortoise? A pic of the eyes/face and front leg area around the neck would be good....

I am now soaking her and I am going to wrap her in a warm towel afterwards and plan to place a warm towel over her enclosure to night to keep the heat in. here are some pictures for her. IMG_5632.JPGIMG_5633.JPGIMG_5634.JPGIMG_5635.JPGIMG_5636.JPGIMG_5637.JPGIMG_5638.JPGIMG_5639.JPGIMG_5639.JPGIMG_5639.JPGIMG_5641.JPGIMG_5639.JPGIMG_5642.JPGIMG_5643.JPGIMG_5646.JPGIMG_5645.JPGIMG_5644.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5640.JPG
    IMG_5640.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator: