I think my male tortoise is sick, please help.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
In that case, i will definitely remove them as soon as possible. Thank you
You could use a little hot salt water in the ground on the hole after you dig them out. Just in case they can spread by the roots too. But I'm not sure about night shade.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You could use a little hot salt water in the ground on the hole after you dig them out. Just in case they can spread by the roots too. But I'm not sure about night shade.?
I actually googled just to see and it does keep on living if any root is left in the ground. It's very hard to iradicate and can take years to accomplish.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Wow, I hadn't looked to see your reply very fast. I'm glad to see so many people have jumped in. Maybe you could work at making a smaller space safe of plants for tortoises, and expand it a little bit each year, and harvest from your 'tortoise garden'. I frankly have no idea what I'd further suggest would work, but can you find wild dandelion and plantain, alfalfa, etc, and bring the seeds to your tortoise safe 'tortoise garden'? I don't know but can you buy such seeds there? Maybe a opuntia cactus?

Potato_king

Oman
Wow, I hadn't looked to see your reply very fast. I'm glad to see so many people have jumped in. Maybe you could work at making a smaller space safe of plants for tortoises, and expand it a little bit each year, and harvest from your 'tortoise garden'. I frankly have no idea what I'd further suggest would work, but can you find wild dandelion and plantain, alfalfa, etc, and bring the seeds to your tortoise safe 'tortoise garden'? I don't know but can you buy such seeds there? Maybe a opuntia cactus?
Thank you very much for your help! Im following this forum daily nowadays because i want to hear what people say as soon as possible to save my tortoises, because unfortunately while posting this thrid, my tortoise’s health is Deteriorating.
Luckily, we have a lot of organic alfalfa here. I don’t have to plant it because i can buy it and feed it to them anytime I want. And yes! I three days ago i made a small tortoise’s garden. I bought some seeds and i planted them. I didn’t find much edible plant expect for green mallows and spinach. Hopefully it will grow up as soon as possible.
, I found some wild dandelions on my garden. Not much but im feeding it to them.
The other day i was taking a walk and I found a part of the gardn loaded with (what it seems a dayflower) they appeared out of nowhere.
B4DDAA22-920F-45C2-9E76-902AAA03202D.jpeg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
This was very helpful! thank you very much.

the nearest grocery store in my village doesn't provide most of these stuff, but I'm sure I will find some. i will keep looking!
i will order Mazuri Tortoise Diet too.
Hope your tortoise is better today.

Yes: I presume that you are going to have to order mazuri from abroad. I live in Jordan and I looked for mazuri in very many pet stores, malls and so on, uselessly. I was told that I would not find food for torts due to the fact that they live in they wild. Ed, (a very sweet member at TFO), was kind enough to send me mazuri from the U.S.A. Thank you, Ed!

Potato_king

Oman
Hope your tortoise is better today.

Yes: I presume that you are going to have to order mazuri from abroad. I live in Jordan and I looked for mazuri in very many pet stores, malls and so on, uselessly. I was told that I would not find food for torts due to the fact that they live in they wild. Ed, (a very sweet member at TFO), was kind enough to send me mazuri from the U.S.A. Thank you, Ed!
Hello, Thank you for the feedback :)
My tortoise is getting better by the day! everyone here was very kind and helped me a lot!
yes, we have the same problem here too! even the vegetables that a greek tortoise should eat are not available, so we had to order some from Holland.

Moonflwrmama

Philadelphia
Thank you very much for your help! Im following this forum daily nowadays because i want to hear what people say as soon as possible to save my tortoises, because unfortunately while posting this thrid, my tortoise’s health is Deteriorating.
Luckily, we have a lot of organic alfalfa here. I don’t have to plant it because i can buy it and feed it to them anytime I want. And yes! I three days ago i made a small tortoise’s garden. I bought some seeds and i planted them. I didn’t find much edible plant expect for green mallows and spinach. Hopefully it will grow up as soon as possible.
, I found some wild dandelions on my garden. Not much but im feeding it to them.
The other day i was taking a walk and I found a part of the gardn loaded with (what it seems a dayflower) they appeared out of nowhere.
View attachment 325433
I bought many many seeds and planted in early spring they are sprouting up nicely I also had to remove the kale plants I had in our outdoor enclosure because she ate them to the ground but they are already recovering after 3 days and have new growth. I actually found my kale and romaine lettuce at the open air market in planters and repotted them but I also know the woman and she does organic soils. If you’re having trouble finding the seeds you need I’m more than happy to drop an envelope in mail or I can figure a way to send some seedlings of dandelions butter lettuces and other weeds depending on location you’re in?
Don’t mind the escape artist that is Myrtle here in pic but the blocks all along her outdoor space I put a weed barrier down inside each open area of block then the soil which turned it into the “shape” of a container and seeded all way around her area. Now they’re about 3/4times as big and I started taking one set of seeds out of the blocks and place them in her enclosure area and let them grow more in there. And if she tramples them to pieces or eats them I have many other seeded blocks to place in there.?

Attachments

• 1E7593BE-4113-4DAB-9ED1-26DEACB3A4EC.jpeg
    1E7593BE-4113-4DAB-9ED1-26DEACB3A4EC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12

Potato_king

Oman
I bought many many seeds and planted in early spring they are sprouting up nicely I also had to remove the kale plants I had in our outdoor enclosure because she ate them to the ground but they are already recovering after 3 days and have new growth. I actually found my kale and romaine lettuce at the open air market in planters and repotted them but I also know the woman and she does organic soils. If you’re having trouble finding the seeds you need I’m more than happy to drop an envelope in mail or I can figure a way to send some seedlings of dandelions butter lettuces and other weeds depending on location you’re in?
Don’t mind the escape artist that is Myrtle here in pic but the blocks all along her outdoor space I put a weed barrier down inside each open area of block then the soil which turned it into the “shape” of a container and seeded all way around her area. Now they’re about 3/4times as big and I started taking one set of seeds out of the blocks and place them in her enclosure area and let them grow more in there. And if she tramples them to pieces or eats them I have many other seeded blocks to place in there.?
She looks very adorable
she is still trying to escape eventhough she has everything she will ever need inside the enclosure?
My tortoises are like that too. I had to chase them down from one garden to another. I don't even know where they're escaping from.
Thank you very much for your kind offer! I visited many pets shops and plantation shops here and i found all the seeds that are good for tortoises, its funny because we have the seeds but not the vegetables ?
I planted them the same day i got them and surprisingly they sprouted two days after.
082479FA-CD85-48E5-8C44-6DA6FD9F0A9D.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
She looks very adorable
she is still trying to escape eventhough she has everything she will ever need inside the enclosure?
My tortoises are like that too. I had to chase them down from one garden to another. I don't even know where they're escaping from.
Thank you very much for your kind offer! I visited many pets shops and plantation shops here and i found all the seeds that are good for tortoises, its funny because we have the seeds but not the vegetables ?
I planted them the same day i got them and surprisingly they sprouted two days after.
View attachment 326044
One of the things I noticed with my Russian is if there's anything close to a wall they will flip sideways and walk up the wall. As long as they have some support on their back. Or things they can get a toenail hold on. I don't really think of it as trying to escape. It's more like conquering whatever is in their way of exploring what they want. They're kinda silly like that.?

Potato_king

Oman
One of the things I noticed with my Russian is if there's anything close to a wall they will flip sideways and walk up the wall. As long as they have some support on their back. Or things they can get a toenail hold on. I don't really think of it as trying to escape. It's more like conquering whatever is in their way of exploring what they want. They're kinda silly like that.?
Russian tortoises are the weirdest ever ?
They push themselves to the limits just to explore. Absolutely amazing species