I Think My Tortoise Is Dead

momtythebrave89

Location (City and/or State)
scotland
Hi everyone, im new to the forum.

Yesterday morning I noticed that my 1 year old Hermann's tortoise wouldn't pop his head out his shell, his head and legs would move ever so slightly and he looked like he yawned. I gave him a warm bath before I went to work but still he didn't come out, so I had to go to work, on my lunch break I was advised to buy reptoboost and bath him in that to see if that would make him feel better.

But by the time I got him, he wasn't moving at all, his head, legs and arms are all inside his shell not extended.

He wouldn't respond to anything, no movement what so ever, I gave him another warm bath but still nothing. I left him in a warm spot for a bit before the uvb light went off.

This morning he is in the exact same position, no change. I'd say his shell underneath in the center feels a little soft. There is no smell however and I can still retract his arms and legs so no rigamortis.

I really do think he has passed but I am click going onto some hope before I call it.

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks everyone.20181102_171335.jpeg20181102_171338.jpeg20181102_171340.jpeg20181102_171355.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent, UK.

Unfortunately this doesn’t sound like good news. The advice for increasing activity is heat - steady warmth day and night no lower than 27C.

Hatchlings have flexible shells which gradually harden. A little flexing in a very young tort is not unusual, but the plastron shouldn’t feel soft.

Babies like this need steady warmth day and night with high humidity in a closed chamber in any case.

Reptoboost treats dehydration, I have used it post hibernation, with my tort. Daily 30 minute soaks in warm water are also recommended for babies and for sick torts.

Don’t give up completely yet. Torts are tough little creatures and the last gasps of life may still be there.

Soak your tort in warm water and then place it directly under the basking lamp. The basking temperature must be 35-37C

Work out how you can cover the enclosure if it is open and keep temperatures up at night.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Testudo Tortoise Care (written about Russians but applies to yours)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/