I think my tortoise vomited

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
I think it’s vomit but it could be poop. I will post a picture.
We came home yesterday to her having pooped some runny stool with a pretty bad odor and immediately took her out and soaked her and cleaned up her space. She usually doesn’t poop in her enclosure.
Then this morning, woke up to what looks like vomit full of undigested food.. looks like her pellets. It is red/pink in color… I think it’s red from her pellets…
Yesterday she ate a full hard boiled egg pretty fast; could it be she just ate too fast? Maybe the egg was bad (that’s not usually an issue but I’m just trying to come up with what could have been the problem)
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 4451DE03-DA93-4503-BE14-EF963A47F0DF.jpeg
    4451DE03-DA93-4503-BE14-EF963A47F0DF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello. I was just wondering what kind of Tortoise do you have. I only ask because my little Russian is a total vegan and would NOT do a hard-boiled egg ever. Stick around though. TFO has been quiet 🤗

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How is she doing now? How big/old is she? A whole egg may have been to much and if she eats those red pellets fruity tort food it's like that.
I'm not sure how much of an egg one should eat.
@ZEROPILOT might be able to guide you but we need to know age and size. Also what other foods do you feed besides eggs and pellets.

Vermont
Yes, as @Cathy G said, please let us now what kind of Tort you have and it's age, (or approximately)
And I don't know if/about "they can eat too fast".
She is a redfoot. I do not know her age…
Update.. she hasn’t vomited or pooped since this morning but also hasn’t eaten much and has been pretty lethargic, just hanging out in her dark soace all day…

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Update.. she hasn’t vomited or pooped since this morning but also hasn’t eaten much and has been pretty lethargic, just hanging out in her dark soace all day…
Hello Tonks and family.
I don’t know much about redfoots
but I do know that if she threw up and had a little diarrhea you should soak her longer than normal.
As in humans, I thing both those things make you very dehydrated…
and she did both all in one day.
My other advice is to maybe hold off on the hard boiled eggs for a while…
I hope this helps a little until the pros come to help you better . ❤️🙏🍀

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How long have you had him/her?
What are you feeding?
Describe or photograph your enclosure, substrate and lighting.
What is the temperature and humidity?
All of that could help with a real theory.
Right now my guess would be its just a temporary issue bought on by some type of imbalance from something he ate. The color being those bright pellets and smell being rotten egg

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Well, continue the soaks as mentioned above, Check your temps & Humidity, tort's need warmth & walking to digest their food. Give your tort their favorite food's to stimulate their eating...& keep us updated on your progress....

Vermont
Is the tortoise doing well?
Sorry for the delay in response and thanks for following up.
I’ve been soaking her daily. I tried the soak with baby food one of the times. She seems a little more lethargic than usual this week, spending more time in the dark part of her enclosure. I don’t know if I’m just being overly nervous and this is how she usually is (I’ve been working the past couple of days so not really home to see). She’s been eating a little every day, so that’s good, although I’m not sure she’s eating as much as usual.
As far as her enclosure goes, I’ll post pics soon

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Another update- just gave her another soak and she finally pooped again a bit. On the softer side but formed and closer to her normal. She seems hungry now! Snacking on a mushroom :)
Since Redfoot can eat such a huge variety...Back off on those pellets.
They're probably not doing much in the nutrition department anyway.

Vermont
Since Redfoot can eat such a huge variety...Back off on those pellets.
They're probably not doing much in the nutrition department anyway.

I’ve been trying to take them away from her but it seems like she’s really a light eater these days and my sense was better that she eats SOMETHING than nothing.
I will take them away though and hopefully she’ll be forced to eat the fresh veggies I give her 🙄
I think you’re right about the egg being rotten. I feel so badly about that.. my poor tort!! I do think she is back to her baseline though.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Don't go cold turkey on her with the pellets. Do it gradually over a week or two, so she hardly notices.
I've done this a few times with Mazuri with tortoises that loved it so much they refused to eat anything else.