I want to get a permit, but love my pets, should I hide them while I apply for one?

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
I want to get a permit for my pets, however my greatest fear is that they take them away from me (after owning them for almost years, I have grown very attached) or they deny me the permit... Is this fear rational or am I over reacting? Anyone here with good or bad stories trying to get permits? Any tips on what I should say or do when I apply for one? Should I hide them away at a friend or family members house while I apply for one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom would you maybe know anything on this topic?
I agree with Zovick and ZEROPLOT.

We don't need permits here, so I have no experience to offer on the subject. Also, I have not been to the RSA since 2005, so I have no feel for the political or legal climate there right now.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hi @SoupHasCookied, to get a permit in South Africa, you'll have to go through the Nature Conservation of your province, through them you get a permit from the permit office.
From what province are you from?
If you are from Gauteng, these links should help
Here's more info
Here's more info on the contacts for permits
The price to apply for a permit can be expensive, if I remember correctly, in the Western Cape it's about R1000.
After applying for the permit, they can come over and inspect the habitat of your tort. Be warned that they can confiscate your torts.
You can use the method you're mentioning above, but it's risky. When you apply for a permit you have to mention the species. You could perhaps apply for torts in "preperation", and then say you found them, but it's risky.
The fine for having a tort without a permit is R13 000 per tort
Are all your pets torts? If I remember correctly you also have a lizard? For the lizard it's the same process, fines may differ.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hi @SoupHasCookied, to get a permit in South Africa, you'll have to go through the Nature Conservation of your province, through them you get a permit from the permit office.
From what province are you from?
If you are from Gauteng, these links should help
Here's more info
Here's more info on the contacts for permits
The price to apply for a permit can be expensive, if I remember correctly, in the Western Cape it's about R1000.
After applying for the permit, they can come over and inspect the habitat of your tort. Be warned that they can confiscate your torts.
You can use the method you're mentioning above, but it's risky. When you apply for a permit you have to mention the species. You could perhaps apply for torts in "preperation", and then say you found them, but it's risky.
The fine for having a tort without a permit is R13 000 per tort
Are all your pets torts? If I remember correctly you also have a lizard? For the lizard it's the same process, fines may differ.
Hope this helps!
Wait! I misread the lizard tag and assumed you were talking about your tort.
The process for a lizard permit is the same as for a tort permit, as far as I remember. They may provide a list for restricted species on the relative Nature Conservation website.
I hope I didn't scare you off with the heavy fines I mentioned above, just know that it can be risky with some animals in South Africa if you don't have a permit

Last edited:
South Africa
Wait! I misread the lizard tag and assumed you were talking about your tort.
The process for a lizard permit is the same as for a tort permit, as far as I remember. They may provide a list for restricted species on the relative Nature Conservation website.
I hope I didn't scare you off with the heavy fines I mentioned above, just know that it can be risky
I hear you and thank you very much for your help! I don't mind the fines or fees for the permit, keeping my lizards and tort are my main concern, letting go of them would hurt a lot, is it worth the risk to get the permit, or should I instead keep my head low? Because as you say it can be risky, and keeping my lizards safe and healthy, with me (especially now with babies on the way) is my top priority

There was a fire the other day in their natural habitat, could that possibly also work as leverage?