I want to get my sulcata possibly micro chipped

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elk Grove CA
My sulcata is an escape artist and i think it would be a good idea to get him micro chipped. If a herp vet can do this, what is the price range and where on the tortoise would be the best spot to get him micro chipped?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@deadheadvet can probably help on where it's placed. The cost will be different in every local.
It would also be best to fix the problem of him escaping. It can be done. Many members with a sulcata or many sulcata that have escape proof enclosures.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
@deadheadvet can probably help on where it's placed. The cost will be different in every local.
It would also be best to fix the problem of him escaping. It can be done. Many members with a sulcata or many sulcata that have escape proof enclosures.

I am actually building him a new outdoor enclosure very soon. So hopefully I can make it escape proof this time. His original enclosure was not meant to keep a tortoise in but to keep the deer out from eating the grass.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
The chip is typically placed high up left rear leg just under the carapace in the femoric fossa. If the Sulcata is pretty good size, might be able to be done w/o sedation. If it is little, you may have to wait till it is bigger. If really good size, may be hard to do since they have very strong rear legs and will retract them and then you can't get the chip inserted. If the tortoise is cooperative, could be less than 50$. The purpose if the chip in the case of tortoises is proof of ownership. The likelihood of someone taking the tortoise into a vet hosp or animal control and know where to scan for a chip is pretty low. It has value in the case of theft. Proof of ownership.