I Want to Give My Russian Tortoise to a Great Home...

ILuvDogz

Hello, I live in Western New York, near Niagara Falls, NY. I want to find a great home for my 4 1/2 year old Russian Tortoise. He is very healthy, but I just don’t have the time to care for him any more, and I don’t want his care to go down-hill. He comes with everything he needs. Hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Won’t cost you a dime to adopt him. I just don’t know what to do with him, and I want him to continue to Thrive. His name is Borgie...

Arirang

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello, there!

Are you willing and able to safely ship your buddy? I live in Ohio and want a smaller tortoise, and want to adopt, but it's only sulcatas up for adoption around here.

I have never had a tortoise, but I keep other reptiles and other pets, and everyone is very healthy and spoiled. Furthermore, I work at a really good pet shop and have access to all kinds of resources and supplies, so he would have a good home with me.

Arirang

Ohio
A little insulting, but I can sympathize with wanting what's best for the animal. If you like, I can upload pictures of all of my other pets- I was waiting on an introduction thread until I actually got a tortoise.

Arirang

Ohio
I just got shortlisted for a reptile rescue in my area, so I am no longer interested. I'll post an introduction as soon as the rescue gets a tortoise and I take possession, and you'll see that I was in earnest.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
A little insulting, but I can sympathize with wanting what's best for the animal. If you like, I can upload pictures of all of my other pets- I was waiting on an introduction thread until I actually got a tortoise.
Don’t be insulted. That is posted almost every time someone is giving away a tortoise. It is just a warning because although you may not be that kind of person, it has happened many times. We just want the poster to use caution.

fritz269

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I have a female russian that I would like to place your male with but I do live in San Diego so of this is a deal breaker, I wish you luck on the hunt.(FYi; I also have a Leopard and 2 Eastern Mud Turtles that we treat as our kids.)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I have a female russian that I would like to place your male with but I do live in San Diego so of this is a deal breaker, I wish you luck on the hunt.(FYi; I also have a Leopard and 2 Eastern Mud Turtles that we treat as our kids.)

Keep in mind that tortoises should never be kept in pairs, so they cannot live together, and if you plan to breed they should be put together for short intervals and separated once done.

ILuvDogz

I won’t ship him. That scares me. He has been with me for 4 years and he is a sweetheart. I want nothing but the best for him. However, I have to talk to the person wanting him, and make sure it’s what they really want. I want him in a great home, where he will be loved and cared for. He comes with a lot of goodies...a great enclosure, etc. Only serious inquiries, please. I live in the Niagara Falls, NY area, but am willing to drive a 50-100 mile radius around me.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I won’t ship him. That scares me. He has been with me for 4 years and he is a sweetheart. I want nothing but the best for him. However, I have to talk to the person wanting him, and make sure it’s what they really want. I want him in a great home, where he will be loved and cared for. He comes with a lot of goodies...a great enclosure, etc. Only serious inquiries, please. I live in the Niagara Falls, NY area, but am willing to drive a 50-100 mile radius around me.

Shipping a healthy adult tortoise is much more safer than it would be to ship a hatchling (It is still quite safe but complications have been known to occur) as long as the shipper is using the same type of overnight delivery service. Flight and handling time may even be shorter than say a 50-100 mile trip with possible traffic.

The real problem lies within the enclosure and possible equipment you wish to part with. Experienced owners with extra equipment may not need any of it and can just take the tortoise instead. Any luck in trying to find local neighbors/relatives willing to take your tortoise off your hands?

ILuvDogz

Shipping a healthy adult tortoise is much more safer than it would be to ship a hatchling (It is still quite safe but complications have been known to occur) as long as the shipper is using the same type of overnight delivery service. Flight and handling time may even be shorter than say a 50-100 mile trip with possible traffic.

The real problem lies within the enclosure and possible equipment you wish to part with. Experienced owners with extra equipment may not need any of it and can just take the tortoise instead. Any luck in trying to find local neighbors/relatives willing to take your tortoise off your hands?
Thanks for trying to help me, Minority2! I really appreciate it! I have told all of the family and my friends. Nobody wants to deal with the care that goes into keeping him, unfortunately. I would gladly just give him to a great caretaker, and just sell the enclosure. That would be no problem at all...

macky2002

Cyclone Pa
I live in Bradford Pa and I am willing to adopt him I just adopted one from Binghamton and love him so much I would not put them together as you have the stuff for him already and we live close it would be great if we could meet as I am not even familiar how to get there but sure I could google map it if I have to I have a 12x12 dog kennel I put together for mine I can split for outside time while it's hot out it has hills I made and I put dens and grew fresh grass in it and weeds and I am still working on it while mine is in there I never leave him alone in it when I adopted him his rescue owner gave me a list of his weekly feeding schedules and soaking routine and we kept in contact so if I had problems he could help me through text messages just a thought for you to think about if you would like for me to adopt him and also I am a stay at home tort mom I dont work I love my tort babies

ILuvDogz

Macky2002...I would gladly meet you!! We just have to set up a date and time. I am so glad you are a stay-at-home Tort mom! Please look me up on FB. My name is Laurie Jarkiewicz. I have a picture of a Lion and a Lamb for my profile page. My husband is from Altoona, PA. We are actually traveling to PA in a couple weeks to visit his Mom. Maybe we could get together then. From Google Maps, it looks like you are 2 hours and 45 minutes away from Altoona, PA. I look forward to hearing from you! Once you friend me on FB, I can give you my cell number and we can chat in person....Laurie

ILuvDogz

Macky2002...I would gladly meet you!! We just have to set up a date and time. I am so glad you are a stay-at-home Tort mom! Please look me up on FB. My name is Laurie Jarkiewicz. I have a picture of a Lion and a Lamb for my profile page. My husband is from Altoona, PA. We are actually traveling to PA in a couple weeks to visit his Mom. Maybe we could get together then. From Google Maps, it looks like you are 2 hours and 45 minutes away from Altoona, PA. I look forward to hearing from you! Once you friend me on FB, I can give you my cell number and we can chat in person....Laurie

Looks like you are only 1 hr., 55 minutes from Niagara Falls, so either way works good for me. We could just meet you half way somewhere. We don’t even have to wait for our trip to Altoona, PA.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Someone who buys a tort, just to turn around and sell them for money. They’re pretty common, sadly :/
I was looking on pet finding websites (I do it when I'm bored) and I found this ad for a Russian tortoise. But it was kept in a box probably big enough for 1 with another. I personally don't know how territorial they are but even I as a beginner know that is a no-no.

Ad: https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/2027710-hose-field-tortoise-sheffield.html

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH