I want to start a local (Oregon) tortoise rescue...am I insane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi Sandy,
What part of Oregon are you in? I'm in Eastern Washingtion, Tri-Cities and have done a bit of rescueing. Check out my site to see.

At the very least, I'd love to be able to network with you for transports, etc!

PM me if you are interested in talking further.

Terese

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
No, you're not insane but that's a lot of work for one person. Too bad I'm not nearby. I'd totally volunteer for you.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
lvstorts said:
Hi Sandy,
What part of Oregon are you in? I'm in Eastern Washingtion, Tri-Cities and have done a bit of rescueing. Check out my site to see.

At the very least, I'd love to be able to network with you for transports, etc!

PM me if you are interested in talking further.

Terese

I PM'd yah more. Seems some PMs to others have disappeared into cyberspace. :)
Definitely want to talk more. I have ideas.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I wish you luck! I hope you will be the kind of shelter who will adopt to out-of-area folks. If you do, put me on the list for any hingebacks you happen to get in.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Absolutely! I've shipped basenji puppies to the east coast....I don't like it, but it was to perfect families and those are tough to find.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
You are insanely wonderful.
Find a need and fill it will always be a key to success.
Build it and it will come. Money that is. There will always be people who will help those who help animals.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
And additionally, look at TFO. Josh found a need and filled it and we are all better keepers because of it.
TFO should inspire you to go for it.
So many animals that need more insanely wonderful people to help them.
My Hopi neighbor said this:
At the end of your life, at the gate, with The Great Spirit, will be all the animals you ever encountered and they will help decide whether you go in, or are turned away. : )

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think what you want to do is wonderful. Start small at first. Pase yourself and see what you can or cannot handle. I, too, would love to do something here in Florida. I would have the support of the people in Tallahassee (FWC) who desperately need people who can help rehome abused reptiles. My problem is space. But, with the right connections, land or space may be appropriated for this endeavor. Anyway, for you, you're already ahead in many ways. It would be nice to have someone represent you to various agencies, corporations, and private donations. You wouldn't have to do that. Someone who is experienced in fundraising should do that, preferably a volunteer who is passionate about tortoises. I know I'm going ahead of myself here, but the possibilities are endless. All I can say is that I'd be willing to act as a go-between for anyone wanting to rehome a tort here in Florida. I could inspect the home, check to see if they have the space etc. This way, if someone here is wanting one of your torts, you'll know they are going into a nice forever home. It's the most i can do for now, but perhaps circumstances will change and i can do more. Here in Florida I could try and recruit help from all over the state. I am extremely passionate about tortoises that are abused or abandoned.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
does this mean you will rescue tortoises? and donate them at a low price or free to someone on here?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Networking is the key to any success. From volunteers to as you said above, fundraising assistance. And I would ship a tortoise if the right situation came up. :)
I will add you to my contacts list. Never know when we can help each other out

skmackley2 said:
does this mean you will rescue tortoises? and donate them at a low price or free to someone on here?

Yes.

TFO members will get "first right of refusal". And again, yes. Free or cover my expenses. And I have already posted on other media and billboards that I need donations of reptile equipment and building materials.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
oh good, so are you looking after tortoises you find and are bad cared? i would, but i live in UK wish someone local would do that around here!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Healthy, neglected or injured. I have a hospital and a reptile DVM at my disposal, so I should put my resources to good use.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
oh thats very good!

and then you would treat them, make them happy and give them away free or low cost as long as we make donations?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Whatever is fair to everyone involved. Case by case basis. I'm sure this well be a money pit, so I'm not expecting to ever break even, but any little bit helps. The girls at work are already donating food, time and pennies!! I'm so excited.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
SenjiSandy said:
I already have a small team assembled locally. :)

Seems you're ready to go, then! :)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Status
Not open for further replies.