I was allergic to coco coir!

Via Infinito

Location (City and/or State)
Viet Nam
Last year, for about 8 months I was struggling with itchy patches, and me and the doctors were convinced I had eczema. Tried lotions, medications and creams with no help and we couldn't find out what I am allergic too.

At one point I thought I was allergic to my sulcata lol. However, one day I thought to get rid of the coco coir because it happened around the same time as when I bought it. And voila! no more itchiness afterwards.
Now my tortoise cage has ceramics tiles underneath and dampened carpet on the other. So much cleaner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoDvcHyAkzn/

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Glad you figured it out. Being itchy is no fun!

I'm wondering about the tile though. I've heard that tortoises who walk on slick surfaces constantly can develop hip problems because they don't walk properly. Their feet slide out from under them. Also do the tiles stay the right temperature? Seems like they might get too hot or too cold easily. I don't mean to be critical, just sharing my thoughts :)

Your tort is adorable!

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
Glad you figured it out. Being itchy is no fun!

I'm wondering about the tile though. I've heard that tortoises who walk on slick surfaces constantly can develop hip problems because they don't walk properly. Their feet slide out from under them. Also do the tiles stay the right temperature? Seems like they might get too hot or too cold easily. I don't mean to be critical, just sharing my thoughts :)

Your tort is adorable!

Oh these tiles are great. They have rough surface on them so the grip is great.
However the tortoise spent the majority of the time in the outdoor enclosure anyway, this is literally his evening sleep cage.
And he sleeps in a like a fabric dog sleeping space.