Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
......cleaning off the solar panels, and I thought, "Hm-m-m-m. This is the perfect perspective for taking pictures of habitats."

The Aldabran habitat:

6-14-11enclosures-1.jpg

In this one, you can barely see the Russian pen behind the tree on the left, the desert tortoises off at the top of the pic, the Texas tortoise habitat in the middle, and part of Dudley's habitat on the bottom:
6-14-11enclosures-2.jpg

I've mentioned "the old house that's on the back of my property" a lot in my posts. Here's the old house. It used to belong to the owner of the whole neighborhood, about 120 acres. He lived there and when he became to old to care for himself, he built the house that I live in, for his daughter to live in and care for him:
6-14-11enclosures-5.jpg

To the right of the old house is where the leopard tortoises live:
6-14-11enclosures-4.jpg

And this is the northern part of the rain forest. The southern part goes off behind the green house and to the right of the picture, but the mulberry tree is so dense you can't see it. I can never get a good picture of it:
6-14-11enclosures-3.jpg

This is where the box turtles live. The 3-toe in the far pen, and the ornates in the closer pen. Out of sight right in front of where I'm standing is the western box turtles and to their left out of the picture is the gulf coast;
6-14-11enclosures-6.jpg

This is a small, triangular-shaped pen where I keep all the mis-fits:
6-14-11enclosures-7.jpg

This is the Easterns. They're showing up as white blobs because they're in the sun and the pen is shady:
6-14-11enclosures-8.jpg

I really like the look of the grape stake fencing. Its quite easy to build, however, it takes a lot of time because the stakes are so narrow. They go down into the ground about 4 or 5 inches, but I've never seen a box turtle trying to dig out.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nice pictures Yvonne. In the first picture, it looks like there's some type of tree orchard back there?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
BEAUTIFUL....I love the mature trees!!! I live in the high desert and have alot of the dense clay type dirt which makes it a constant struggle to get the big species thriving here...but I figure for every 3 I plant 2 make it...I love the way you have everything designated and the narrow slate fencing has character :D

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I love your property! From the looks of all your pens you don't have much to mow :) Thats my dream tortoise lawnmowers. Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neal said:
Nice pictures Yvonne. In the first picture, it looks like there's some type of tree orchard back there?

Yes, that's actually across the street. Its an almond orchard. I have quite a few volunteer almond trees come up every year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
spikethebest said:
awesome! when did you get the solar panels? does your meter spin backwards all day long?

I got the first section about 3 years ago, realized it wasn't big enough and added to it two years ago. Its still not quite big enough to make me break even because I have too many tortoise heaters during the winter, but from about May to September, the meter does spin backwards all day long.

ascott said:
BEAUTIFUL....I love the mature trees!!! I live in the high desert and have alot of the dense clay type dirt which makes it a constant struggle to get the big species thriving here...but I figure for every 3 I plant 2 make it...I love the way you have everything designated and the narrow slate fencing has character :D

Thank you! Actually, my dirt is heavy, red clay too, with hard pan (calische) about 2' under that. When I want to plant a tree, I have to hire someone with a heavy auger to dig holes for me.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Very cool, I've often wondered what your whole property looks like Yvonne, this paints a pretty good picture.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You are a brave woman to go up there. It's very beautiful where you live, and you are lucky to have all that property. You always have to give up something to live here.....especially if you like to shop!:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
FernandoM said:
Thanks for risking your life and taking those pictures for us Yvonne :p

You're very welcome. Usually my neighbor across the street does it for me (he's adopted me :p ), but he's been sick. If you don't keep them clean, they don't work as well. And since I live on a busy street, they get pretty dusty in about a week.

Missy said:
I love your property! From the looks of all your pens you don't have much to mow :) Thats my dream tortoise lawnmowers. Thanks for sharing.

Actually, my neighbor across the street does that for me too. The desert tortoise pen, the back yard, where the dog lives, require mowing once a week. Some of the other pens, he hits with the WeedEater occasionally just to knock it down to tortoise size.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I'm green with envy! Yvonne,you have a super nice place. Your torts are lucky.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you everyone for your nice comments. I appreciate them!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
FernandoM said:
Did you check to see if you get an additional credit from the government? ;)

Oh yes. Believe me, I took ALL I was entitled to!!

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I always wondered how you kept so many different species separate. I literally dream of owning an actual piece of land some day, and not just this postage stamp! Thanks for the pictures! :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Believe me everyone...it is very much fun to go to her house. I love it when I have enough tortoises to make a run down there...I love seeing all the different species...

johnnysd

5 Year Member
great pictures and wonderful layout of the property. you're property is so vast i could never afford that here in SoCal.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.