I was wrong, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I FINALLY got my Hingebacks today! It has been a long wait, simply due to things like weather, and getting sick...

But they are finally home!!!

I was wrong, however...

From the pics I had seen, I thought they were K. erosa. Now that I have seen them in person, they are definately K. homeana.

The current habitat is a stock tank, 6' X 4' X 18" or so. I am working on setting up the hides and bathing area.

Pics soon :)

Kristina

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Congrats. Give em a mushroom and some fat crawlers as a welcome.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Eh, it didn't really matter to me what spp. they were, I am just glad to have them!

They had some mushrooms, squash, strawberries, and nasturtium last night. One of the males is very, very outgoing, the other male is a little shy, and the female positively wishes I would go away, lol. But they are doing great so far.

I HAVE pictures, but no way to upload them at the moment. The move has been a pain in the butt, lol, and I STILL don't have my internet service at the new house.

Kristina

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:DI think a lot of folks get confused, when they just have pictures to go by. A slight angle difference can make shell slopes look deceiving. Will make finding a female a pretty easy thing to do.

Glad they may it safely and are settling in nicely. :)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Congrats on the new tenants! Had to LOL when I read "the female positively wishes I would go away, lol"; very funny...

Enjoy & have fun getting them settled in!
Blessings,
Purpod

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree, Jaqui, it will certainly make finding a second female a LOT easier.

My only problem so far is that I need more bedding. Home Depot has been stringing me along on mulch for the last almost four months, so finally today I went in and threw a FIT, lol. I do that well when I want to. So, in the end, the manager said he would pull a pallet inside and defrost it so that I could have a few bags of cypress mulch. This was after they tried to give me cedar and I threw ANOTHER fit :D

Thanks, Purpod, lol, she really does. I know she actually does move because she is in different spots evertime I peek, but I have yet to see it :) It is quite amazing how far back into their shells they can pull themselves when they aren't in the mood to be social :D

I also have to say that so far I am REALLY liking the stock tank as an enclosure, and it is something I will probably advocate in the future for humidity loving species such as Redfoots and Box turtles, along with the Kinixys.

Kristina

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Stock Tank??? Sorry im new to this what are you referring to???

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
A tank used to feed or water "stock," or livestock, usually made from galvanized steel or hard plastic.

poly-group.jpg

stock_tank_oblong.jpg

You can also google "stock tank."

I am using one of the long and low galvanized ones.

Kristina

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
lets see some pictures already! :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Almost all of my inside enclosures are the sheep stock tanks. I tried the metal one first, but didn't like it as well as the plastic ones.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Thanks, I bet those do work really well ive just been using a huge rubbermade tub.

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
SoCal
kyryah said:
I FINALLY got my Hingebacks today! It has been a long wait, simply due to things like weather, and getting sick...

But they are finally home!!!

I was wrong, however...

From the pics I had seen, I thought they were K. erosa. Now that I have seen them in person, they are definately K. homeana.

The current habitat is a stock tank, 6' X 4' X 18" or so. I am working on setting up the hides and bathing area.

Pics soon :)

Kristina

Oh how fun. Congrats Kristina! I can't wait to see them.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The stock tank seems to have higher sides than most tort tables--is that what you were referring to for humidity-loving species (as it probably keeps a micro environment better)? My tort table ended up with high sides and I have a much easier time keeping it a lot warmer for the little guy than my house.

Glad you finally got some Cypress Mulch...that's kinda silly they had it but didn't want to defrost it so they could sell you some!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I like the stock tank for the more humid environment because it is way more water proof than what wood is. I can also add plants at will because of the open top design.

I managed to get a couple of pics uploaded, they are not great, but here they are!

A not so great pic of the most outgoing of the group, one of the males

DSCF8242.jpg

This is Maude, the female, sending "go away" vibes

DSCF8244.jpg

Both males, the one to the left is just an awesome, friendly little tortoise

DSCF8246.jpg

And little Maude again

DSCF8240.jpg

Kristina

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Wow they are so unique looking! Thanks for sharing...I love learning about different tort species. :)

Of course we'd love more habitat pics as you get it set up.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They are SO different, I am just in love with them. They are insectivores, and love earth worms, and they eat very little in the way of greens and veggies. They like squash, and strawberries and bananas, and I have gotten them to nibble the nasturtium and some mango and papaya. A main staple of their diet is mushrooms, and they LOVE water. In the wild, they almost swim. They are more like Box turtles than most tortoise species :) I suppose the closest to their habits would be Redfoots :)

The appearance is also very unique. They can retract a LONG ways back into their shell, and clamp the back end down pretty tight. Where Boxies have a hinge across the plastron, these guys have one across their backs. They are VERY cool, plainly put :D

I will get more pics ASAP. I put in an order for some more coir, as the cheapest I can get it around here is $5.99 a brick. Ridiculus.

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.