Ibera Greek Eating Calcium/D Powder

Status
Not open for further replies.

caymaria

5 Year Member
Lately, my tortoise has been eating the calcium/vit D Fluker's powder off his food and bowl. He is still eating normally and I mix his diet with spring mix, dandelions, mazzuri, etc. but he seems too attracted to the powder. I have been taking him out on warm days for some extra sunshine and his powersun bulb is on about 12-14 hours a day, but I am still concerned he is not getting enough vitamins by the way he goes crazy for the powder. I sprinkle his food daily but he is so attracted to the white powder almost as if he is addicted to it! I plan on getting him a cuddlebone, but wondered if it is safe to leave a small bowl Fluker's Calcium with Vit. D. in his enclosure (or just plain calcium)...or could he overdose? Or should I decrease use of sprinkling on his food?

Thanks in advance!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Doubt he'll overdose...young tortoises need a lot of calcium, but any extra'll just come out in his urates. How old/large is he?

Be sure he stays well hydrated, though...are you soaking him, and if so, how often?

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Lucky! haha I cannot get my tort to eat the vitamin powder. I have to trick it by hiding the powder underneath the veggies.

caymaria

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. He is almost 1 year old as of July :) I soak him about every other day and spray his food with water every other day as well.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
That's Enough Vitamins!
Do You Ever Feed Cactus, Its Great?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
All of my tortoises, including my Ibera Greeks, have always been offered calcium carbonate "on the side", I never coat their food with it. I have found that they will consume different amounts of it at different times of year and different stages of growth. I prefer to let them decide how much they need rather than constantly coating food with it.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I use cuttlefish,mine love them,
I have never gave my reptiles vitamins, with the proper varied diet I don't see the need, mine are all healthy, imo

Status
Not open for further replies.