Ibera Greek Terrified Of Being Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

caymaria

5 Year Member
My ibera greek is almost 1 year old. Now that the weather is very warm, I have placed her bin (she is always in) outside to get some natural sun on a high porch with an enclosed screen so animals cannot get to her. She has two hideaways. She never hides in her log when indoors (she does in her flower pot) when inside, but only to sleep.

Everytime I put her outside in some natural sunlight (so far about 4x) she literally runs as fast as she can inside her log and buries herself. She has that as a shaded area and I thought maybe it was because she was too hot, but this is literally seconds after she is placed outdoors. We let her walk around under supervision the other day and she continually ran to my boyfriend like he would protect her. I even tried feeding her in the sunlight and strangely, she will eat a few pieces of lettuce as fast as she can then run back into the log. What can I do to get her used to being outside and get some real sun? Is she afraid of the light or predators? Is this normal? Other than that, she is very healthy and I haven't had any issues. She's just being a baby :)

Attachments

• tater.jpg
    tater.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 71

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's interesting. It sounds like just a natural instinct. She's a baby so maybe she'll grow out of it. I'd keep putting her outside.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
A baby tort has a really cr*ppy place in the food chain (she's on everything's menu), so hiding = survivng...in time, she'll get bolder...give her a few weeks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have to agree babies know they are food for just about everything, I would just say it is instinct. Will grow out of it eventually.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I have the same thing happening with my Hermanns. They have a lovely enclosure, but I don't think they've seen any of it because they SPRINT to the nearest corner and dig in. Do they get enough natural UVs during the brief sprint to make the trip outside worthwhile?? My leos are slightly more brave and will usually eat a leaf or two before they hide.
I guess the upside is that I could enter Torty in a race and be pretty sure of a winner;)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:
It's called a strong instinct for survival! It's a very normal action for young tortoises.

The ones w/o this strong instinct for survival VERY rarely get to pass on their genes...life's like that. :rolleyes:

caymaria

5 Year Member
Lol, thanks everyone! Well, I attempted once more to put her in the sun by her food but didn't want to stress her out too much, so after she ran back in the log I went back inside and left her alone. A few minutes later I looked through the window and surprisingly, saw her munching away on her meal and looking around. Now she is in her flower pot and rotated her body so she can peak out. She's still a little skittish but I think we're making progress as of today!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
caymaria said:
Lol, thanks everyone! Well, I attempted once more to put her in the sun by her food but didn't want to stress her out too much, so after she ran back in the log I went back inside and left her alone. A few minutes later I looked through the window and surprisingly, saw her munching away on her meal and looking around. Now she is in her flower pot and rotated her body so she can peak out. She's still a little skittish but I think we're making progress as of today!

Like I said, give her a week or so to get comfortable and she'll be her old self again...and you'll probably see this behavior anytime you rearrange her enclosure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it might have been scared of you, you are bigger than it and in the wild anything bigger is a potential threat. It will eventually know you re not a threat and be comfortable round you, especially when it realizes you provide the food, then it will pester you all day long.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Just keep putting your toert outside and eventually that fear will pass... Pretty much what everyone else has said..

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
I have nothing more to add... other than: She is adorable!!

caymaria

5 Year Member
Thanks again everyone. Her tub is also slightly opaque and not a solid color. When indoors, she can barely see out of it and never attempts to "get out" or scratch at the wall, but with all the brightness in the sun, I think she was freaking out even more and looked unusually stressed today because she could see out the edges of the wall. I went ahead and covered the outside of the tub with pieces of paper so she can't see out now. Seemed to immediately calm her down :)

Status
Not open for further replies.