Iceberg Lettuce

BorisTort

5 Year Member
I know tortoises are not supposed to have iceberg lettuce.. But I have recently been concerned that my tortoise may be dehydrated (I worry a lot!) and was wondering if lettuce was okay because of the high water content.

Dorrie Siu

Have you considered cucumber? I think that holds more water and they go crazy over it!

A good soaking always helps too. They dunk their head in and take huge gulps. Why do you think he/she's dehydrated?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Good questions Dorrie.

Iceberg lettuce won't hurt them, it just doesn't offer much nutrition. It takes the space up from the things they should be eating.

I would prefer to feed better foods and just soak more often, as Dorrie suggested.

BorisTort

5 Year Member
Okay, I should probably try changing his diet a little first. He eats lots of kale. I try other things for variety, but he's picky!

I've been thinking he's dehydrated because his eyes look a little sunken in and he seems skinnier to me. Also, I know he hasn't been eating much (because I try things other than kale!), so I thought maybe he hasn't been getting much water.

He also hasn't peed or pooped in a LONG time, if that means anything. Even when I soak him, which I've been doing daily for a week or so.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
When you say he is picky, what is it that he appears to devour by choice?

What is his enclosure like? What are the temps in the enclosure? What type of substrate are you using in the enclosure? How long have you had this particular tort?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Try dandelions, radicchio, and Belgian endive. They are good items to add to your winter mixture of foods and seem to be favorites for my Russians.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
When my Russian tortoise seems dehydrated I give him cucumber slices and he loves it :~)

LABZOO

If you can find belgium endive try that over iceburg. It is a cultivated variety but I feed this to my uromastyx a lot bc I cant allow him liquid water to drink. My sully will chose endive over most other greens and weeds.

BorisTort

5 Year Member
ascott said:
When you say he is picky, what is it that he appears to devour by choice?

What is his enclosure like? What are the temps in the enclosure? What type of substrate are you using in the enclosure? How long have you had this particular tort?

Boris loves carrots. I tried cucumber for the first time last night and he loved it!
His enclosure is 4x2, his basking spot is around 90 degrees and the cool side is about 65-70 degrees. For substrate, I mix coconut fiber and "forest floor" from the pet store. Also, I've had him for 9 months. :)

He seems more active today, which makes me feel better!

Dorrie Siu

Glad to see he's doing better!!

Another secret that I have is, if Dorrie starts to be in her picky stage when it comes to eating, I just squeeze the cucumber juice over her greens. It works like a charm!! I don't want to give her to much of the actual cucumber because it does fill her up and she won't have room for the dark green stuff.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Dorrie Siu said:
Glad to see he's doing better!!

Another secret that I have is, if Dorrie starts to be in her picky stage when it comes to eating, I just squeeze the cucumber juice over her greens. It works like a charm!! I don't want to give her to much of the actual cucumber because it does fill her up and she won't have room for the dark green stuff.

Again.........

This is a great place to learn and share.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another way to get more fluid into a tortoise that doesn't self-hydrate is to spray water over the food.

BorisTort

5 Year Member
I thought I should share that Boris is looking and acting like he is feeling better! I see such a difference! His eyes are glossy, he's way more alert and active, he's been doing his business regularly, and eats out of my hand again!
It's amazing to me that with a little TLC, my tortoise can change so much in such a short period. He's eating all kinds of foods now. For a few days I squeezed cucumber juice on his food and I think that did it! :)

Attachments

• DSCF1073.JPG
    DSCF1073.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 25