ID Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

starpython

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Florida
My father found this little beauty in his yard which is an acre of swampy land with a pond in NW Florida. We've seen all kinds of amazing wildlife here, but this is something new.
The picture isn't that great - I'll upload more tomorrow if anyone thinks they can help identify the species.
It's curious that it has a paint mark on it's carapace. Someone tagged him, but for what reason I can only guess.
Unknown Turtle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It's a box turtle - I think an Eastern or possibly a crossbreed of Eastern and three toed. Probably someone's pet at one time. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would say someone just got him as a pet and he got away. Post some flyers without pics to see if someone claims it. Some people number the torts so you can pick the one you want to buy .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I found a large boxie someone had painted to look like a VW beetle once it was signed with names and dated 1994 if im remembering right. I think sometimes kids just like to mess around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks to be a pretty young eastern box turtle.

starpython

5 Year Member
NW Florida
Thanks everyone. I was able to contact a local agency and everyone seems to think it's a Gulf Coast Box Turtle. I just didn't guess at a boxy because all of the ones I've seen in the area are so much more ornate looking. The plain look of this guys carapace threw me off.
It's quite a find. I'm a little bothered by the paint markings. If it was a pet there's no way anyone would retrieve it from the area it was found. Could be a kid that decided to have fun with spray paint. Either way this little cutie is going back to the swamp. And we'll know him if he ever pops by the house again.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I would disagree that it's a gulf coast box turtle. The head looks like an Eastern. Some Easterns are plain like that. I personally wouldn't put it back in the swamp. If it is an Eastern - they do not swim well.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It's a female eastern. The mark (figure 8?) is probably for identification. I think that the swampy place would be just fine.

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Santa Barbara, CA
Too cute! Most of my boxies have our address and phone number painted on them, so if they ever escape they can be identified and returned easily. I imagine paint on turtles is viewed a little differently in their native habitat. Glad she's going back to the wild.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
back toenails sure are long for this to be a wild turtle, bet it is someones pet!

Gangreene

5 Year Member
So. Cal.
Looks like an Eastern
Funny thing about your turtle is it looks like it has a little Florida box in it, look at the line behind it's eye and the stripe down the center of the shell.

North west Florida is like the crossroads to Eastern's,Three toes,Gulf coasts and Florida box turtles. So who knows?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
That box turtle looks like a great example of a genetically diverse boxie because of its local. I find it more gulf coast looking than any but it shows characteristics of several sub species

Status
Not open for further replies.