ID Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Went to check these fellas out today. Want to make sure they are what they are claimed to be. I don't think they are, but I have little experience in the area.

Pics aren't great, I snapped them on my phone, but any help from the experts is much appreciated.

Oh, and I'm still not sure exactly where these ID threads are supposed to go, figured this was as good a place as any. Mods, move at your discretion.

They are from this CL ad: http://lansing.craigslist.org/pet/2036473861.html

110100_175201.jpg

110100_175100.jpg

Thanks!
Travis

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
They are Ornate wood turtles, Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima manni.

No problem putting ID posts here. :) When we figure out what it is we can move it. :D

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am pretty sure that when they are in the pet trade they go for more than that.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Thanks Danny, you're the best!

I am pretty sure that when they are in the pet trade they go for more than that.

Which? The ornate box or ornate wood? Or both...

It seemed like a good price, and the tank is actually pretty nice. About 6'x2' custom plexi with a wood stand.

But, they don't look to be in great shape, to me. I was told that they pretty much exclusively sit under the heat lamp all day. They feed lettuce and fruit and they said that both of them have steadfastly refused crickets, worms, and the like since they have owned them (about a year).

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The problem is they aren't keeping them humid enough. They like it just like a Redfoot.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

That's because they are ornate wood turtles not box turtles. They need to eat chopped and shredded fruits and vegetables. They are especially fond of kale, zucchini, squash, mango, cantaloupe, banana, and apple. Possibly they are not kept warm enough. I would snatch them up quickly if I were you...that price is super cheap

travisgn

5 Year Member
I would snatch them up quickly if I were you...that price is super cheap

I am leaning heavily in that direction. ;) And thanks for the info on diet. So they don't need any additional protein source?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They need protein like a box turtle.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

travisgn said:
I would snatch them up quickly if I were you...that price is super cheap

I am leaning heavily in that direction. ;) And thanks for the info on diet. So they don't need any additional protein source?

Yes, they would eat night crawlers and fish would be good. If nothing else with that price, I'd buy them, rehab them and sell them again and keep the tort table

travisgn

5 Year Member
Okay, thanks again. I feel much better about getting a new species with all you knowledgeable folks around.

Once I get them I'll probably be back on with better pics looking for a sex ID.

Travis

travisgn

5 Year Member
I already called them back earlier tonight to tell them I wanted them for sure. However, if space or something else becomes an issue and I need to re-home them in the future, I will look to my fellow Michiganders here on Tortoise Forum first. Right now I just want to get them here and get their environmental conditions and diet up to where they should be.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Fine by me, I agree that a better home is first and foremost. Just don't forget about me if you ever want to rehome them... This is a species I have wanted for close on to 20 years ;) And as I said I would be more than happy to make the trip down :)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
kyryah said:
Fine by me, I agree that a better home is first and foremost. Just don't forget about me if you ever want to rehome them... This is a species I have wanted for close on to 20 years ;) And as I said I would be more than happy to make the trip down :)

I think we michiganders are going to take this forum over! I think we're at what, 7 or 8 now? Watch out Arizona and Cali!...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Seiryu said:
kyryah said:

I think we michiganders are going to take this forum over! I think we're at what, 7 or 8 now? Watch out Arizona and Cali!...
No offense intended but Cali dominates the forum, when the michiganders reach like 30 then I will start worrying. :)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
dmmj said:
No offense intended but Cali dominates the forum, when the michiganders reach like 30 then I will start worrying. :)

It was sarcasm... heh

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
dmmj said:
Seiryu said:
kyryah said:

Well no offense intended but each of us is worth ten of ya'll, so better start worrying
EvilGrin.png
EvilGrin.png
EvilGrin.png
EvilGrin.png

Jerseynox

5 Year Member
se michigan
you have 2 central american wood turtles aka painted wood turtles
im also michigan woo hoo

Status
Not open for further replies.