ID this wild tort....

steelrumor

5 Year Member
I was in south africa recently on a hunt and found this guy while returning to camp. Anyone have a clue what he is? He barely even cared that I was there went back to grazing right after I took the picture.

IMG_3742.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking like a sulcata, but I have no idea if there are any other wild species that resembles a sulcata.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Leopard...and holy moley!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Definitely a leopard with a pair of the biggest front legs I've ever seen on a leopard tortoise!

steelrumor

5 Year Member
There was another just shell i had found on this same property that was the same size if not larger. sorry i didn't take a picture of that one. I was about an hour outside of east london. something like six thousand acres i this particular area.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
The legs and leg scales are ginormous. Incredible animal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
South African leopards tend to not be shy like other varieties. I'm not surprised he didn't care about your presence. I saw some down on the Cape in the nature preserve and they were practically pushing me out of their way as they passed.

@steelrumor Tell us please, what is the humidity and rainfall like there when you snapped this pic. Surely it must be bone dry like a desert at all times like the books say, right?

Oh yeah, and what are you hunting? Watch out for sneaky puff adders and lounging Cape buffalo. :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Good specimen. I think most leopard types will display some personality, so it's not a surprise this one was not phased by your presence.

steelrumor

5 Year Member
Sorry to throw a wrench in the mix there Tom but actually yeah i was in the high desert. During their winter season they don't get quite a bit of rain in the area I was at so I'm not quite sure on the humidity though for the rest of the year. It was hanging around a watering hole when i found it however.

As for what I hunted a few things here and there nothing too crazy.. No lions with names or anything like that.