Idea for closed chamber colony, seeking advise and criticism

Stoneman

Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest, United States
My current plan is to construct it slightly narrower so that each section will fit through a doorway in case I relocate. So 2.5×6. However, I want to triple the enclosures, so that there are three, and combine them together so that they form a C shape. So basically two 90° angles so that I can clean and so that they can move around. They are two feet high. I know this does not leave a lot of room for adjusting the height of heating elements and lights, but I am pretty sure T5/T9 bulbs don't ever need to be more than 1.5 feet above them. They will not be individually closed chambers, but be one closed chamber, with small fans circulating the air to maintain consistent temperature. This requires me to have fewer sealed areas. They can be sectioned off, but for the adults I plan to have the entire levels opened for them. I am moving from a non-tortoise friendly environment to another, but the RH is going to change from 40% to 80% so I need a closed chamber less, but I still want it for the temperature controls. I still plan to put humid hides and a misting system in as well.

What do you think? Does anyone have recommendations? Any mistakes noticed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't forget to allow for the deepness of your substrate. A tortoise standing on top of the substrate, then on his back legs, should not be able to reach the top of the wall with his front feet. If he can get his front feet over the top edge, he can climb out.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
My current plan is to construct it slightly narrower so that each section will fit through a doorway in case I relocate. So 2.5×6. However, I want to triple the enclosures, so that there are three, and combine them together so that they form a C shape. So basically two 90° angles so that I can clean and so that they can move around. They are two feet high. I know this does not leave a lot of room for adjusting the height of heating elements and lights, but I am pretty sure T5/T9 bulbs don't ever need to be more than 1.5 feet above them. They will not be individually closed chambers, but be one closed chamber, with small fans circulating the air to maintain consistent temperature. This requires me to have fewer sealed areas. They can be sectioned off, but for the adults I plan to have the entire levels opened for them. I am moving from a non-tortoise friendly environment to another, but the RH is going to change from 40% to 80% so I need a closed chamber less, but I still want it for the temperature controls. I still plan to put humid hides and a misting system in as well.

What do you think? Does anyone have recommendations? Any mistakes noticed?

What is your budget for this 3x build? Have you considered animal plastics?

3x cages tripled stacked above one another would save a lot of room and would make routine maintenance much easier in my opinion.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In a closed chamber system, you shouldn't need a humidifier or misting system. You also should not need the fans.

Another point to consider is that even in a climate with 80% humidity, an indoor open topped enclosure with a heat lamp will have MUCH lower humidity than what is outside.

Two feet high inside sounds excellent, and 30" to get through door ways is genius. Mine are 36" and I have to remove all the substrate and furniture to stand it up on end and get it through a door way. Pain in the arse, I tell ya'...

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
What is your budget for this 3x build? Have you considered animal plastics?

3x cages tripled stacked above one another would save a lot of room and would make routine maintenance much easier in my opinion.

Could you show some pics of others who have done this, or how you would recommend doing it? I am having trouble imagining how to put together ehat you are advising.