1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Idea for greenhouse baby habitat... Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosures' started by Turningstar, Jul 5, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Turningstar

Turningstar Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Florida
    Afternoon all!
    We received our 5 month old sulcatas last week, and after following all the suggestions I was given for their house, they are doing well. I am fully aware of how quickly they will outgrow their enclosure and that I will most likely need to separate them, so now Im planning their home for the next couple years.

i am thinking of a 6x8 greenhouse with boards around the perimeter and to separate them. I would put hardware cloth on the bottom to keep predators from digging in and them from digging out. There would be a few inches at least of dirt over to of the wire, with a humid hide and dirt mound for them. Tortoise seed mix and edible plants, and a basking spot with light. Still trying to work out how to let in sunlight without letting out too much humidity.

Still figuring it all out, but suggestions are welcome. Like I said, its not permanent. Its just until they are large enough for an outside pen where I dont need to worry about birds carrying them off.
  2. daniellenc

daniellenc Well-Known Member

Maryland
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    You never want to cover an outdoor enclosure they would bake to death quickly and a 6x8 split is waaaaaaaay too small. 2 full grown sulcata's will need over 1/2 of an acre at the absolute least. You can probably get away with a 48x48 space split for a year or so but ultimately will need an excessive amount of room.For right now though they are too young to be outdoors year round so I'd focus on an indoor enclosure as well.
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    We have a couple members who have small greenhouses indoors for baby tortoises. Elohi comes to mind. I'll see if I can find a picture of hers.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
  5. Turningstar

Turningstar Member

Florida
    Thats what I meant by temporary. A year or two at best, depending on growth. They would still get out in a small pen when Im out in the yard. When they are bigger, I will have a large yard for them.
  6. Turningstar

Turningstar Member

Florida
    Ooooh, I really like the raised bed thing! That may work well for a while.

Im just trying to think of the best way to make them a nice habitat that will last for a while until they are large enough that they arent easy pickins for predators and can handle lower humidity levels. I hate building over and over as they grow.
  7. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    I use the same greenhouse/raised bed that Yvonne linked. That one is only a 4x4. Too small to last you a couple years with two of them. However, you can find different bigger ones that should work. Just be sure they have plenty of ceiling/top vent windows and side windows too open so it doesn't get too hot and possibly put half of the enclosure in shade.
  8. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
    Good luck with your Sullys. Hope you have lots of exterior ground space for them to roam. What you do have going for you is your location, temperature and high humidity levels.

Happy Torting!
  9. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Actually you being in Florida, your humidity is probably high enough to not use the greenhouse plastic part and just put chicken wire over the top to keep birds out. House them inside at night in a humid enclosure.
    daniellenc likes this.