ideal temps/humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I was jw if somebody could tell me what the idea humidity is and the ideal heating for red foots, im never really sure when searching around on the internet. But i just got some heat rope and a temp guadge and i am hoping that this will help allot :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I shoot for a low temp around 83-85ºF and a high of ~90ºF at the basking end. Some really great keepers/breeders just keep their entire enclosures around 85ºF with no ill effects (all their torts look beautiful to me!).

I keep my relative humidity at a minimum of 60%, and prefer things to remain between 70-80%. After I add 500 ml of water to my enclosure (1/week), humidity may spike to 90% for a day, sometimes two once it gets warmed by the heat ropes.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I don't think there is a PERFECT heat or humidity level, although what Redstrike says is pretty much what I aim for as well, although in my habitat I can get more humidity than that most of the time.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
well i just got the heat ropes like i was imformed would work best for my humidity issues, and i dont feel like it is working.... could i have too much dirt over top of the rope? the heat is up to like 85 but the humidity is only 70%

well acually 68-70% and i want to raise it

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
How much dirt do you have on there? Dirt itself is rather insulating and will tend to absorb a lot of the heat if it is too thick. If the ropes are working, though, it should still help with the humidity.

The best substrate I have used with the ropes is cypress, about 2" thick.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I could have been a bit more clear, my humidity dips down to 60% around my MVB while it's running. Otherwise mine remains around 75% throughout the enclosure and where the MVB doesn't dry it out (the remaining 3/4 of the enclosure).

I'd try taking a little soil off the top of your ropes, as Madkins suggests, they should give you pretty good performance otherwise.

Forgot to add, Madkins is right about there not being a "perfect" level. Be patient, those heat ropes will pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.