Ideal weight for newly owned Russian. Please advise.

Spannerz

Hi. I've now had my Russian Tortoise Sid for a week. I wanted to allow him to settle in before I started to introduce any stress to him by weighing and measuring.

Today I took is first measurements and he weighs 62g and is 5.5cm in length.

Can anyone advise if this is an ideal weight for his length? Should I allow for further weigh ins so I can collate numbers for average weight gain?

Please take in to account I am new to the tortoise world. I rely heavily on the advice I have gained from the forum which has been a real support.

Many thanks

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hello!

Here is a guide line for some info on weight ratios for Horsfield's tortoises.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412272729.307978.jpg

Spannerz

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately I am experiencing some issues with the file loading so am unable to see what you have posted :/

I'll continue to try in the hope I can take some information from this. Your response is greatly appreciated.

I tried a Google search but as ever there is so much conflicting information. I was hoping to get some more advice and feedback here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They all grow at such different rates. And a big meal or a big poop can change the weight be several grams on a little one like this. I wouldn't get too concerned with specific numbers. The tort should feel heavy for his size in your hand. Make sure temps, diet, hydration, etc.. are all good, and then just look for a steady increase in weight over time.

Here are a couple of threads for reference:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Spannerz

Thank you Tom.

Naturally I've stepped in to worrying Momma mode. My temps/humidity are consistent with advice and information I have received and researched on here. Unfortunately when I posted a pic of Sid previously on the forum I was told he was pyramiding (I had suspected this when I saw him at the breeders house, this is half the reason I picked him, that and he's such a handsome and curious little chap) so I am taking every care to prevent this from developing further.

Sid is eating well, he's alert and active in his waking hours. Goes to the toilet during his bath times and seems to have settled in to our routine better than I have :)

I appreciate the links you provided. I had previously taken notes having read these files before but it's well worth having a quicker route to them here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another trick for stopping pyramiding that has already started is to spray the carapace with plain water several times a day. Sleeping in a humid hide really helps reduce it too.

Spannerz

That's great thank you. I have a spray bottle I keep next to his enclosure, usually when he's having his daily soak I spray the substrate and water his plant but I haven't yet thought to spray him so I could incorporate this in with him having a little spray too.

Sid has a hide he seems to favour, this has deeper substrate toward the rear to allow him to burrow if he wishes and while the surface substrate is dry to touch (between my spraying), underneath is damp (not soaking).

I greatly appreciate your advice thank you.

Spannerz

I should probably add that the hide I mentioned is located near his lamp so retains heat for a period after lights out. This is perhaps why the surface substrate is dry to touch. I have a humidity gauge in place in this area which reads just shy of 80% at present. Although he's only been with me for just over a week, I have taken to first spraying, then turning the substrate in the hide, partly to loosen it up to prevent any mould setting in and partly to allow some of the moisture from my spraying to penetrate a little deeper.